OverClocking Intel E6420 CPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
anyway UPDATE:

First at all, why the hell i always have to restart PowerSupply if i want to get in bios ?

Why when i set "Configure DRAM timing by SPD" to dissabled bios says "OverClocking faild" ?
I didnt changed any values there =(.

What does this stuff has to do with CPU speed ?

and how to fix my issues :p

Thanks in advance=)

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
It appears that if you are not gonna read about your board, I have to, and when you take pics of your Bios, I need to see these hidden options and junk. How else can I know whats in there?

Right now with what I can see I would enable the memory remap feature if you have a 32 bit OS.

Disable CPU TM function and disable bit, just to be sure.

MAKE SURE you disable static read control! This also does weird things to your memory timings!

Disable PCI clock sync!

With any luck, it was that simple. Static read control being the most common cause of weird boot problems, BSODs from ram related thingies out of what I could see.

--Lupi

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
:O U think i wasnt reading all about this **** that my mobo has ? :(

I just dont Understand english that well tht i would understand what that means.

Anyway srry =( I didnt gave u enough infos.

I'll do as u say.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
New problems =(((

Still same with powersupply & message overclocking faild.

I puted all as u said and it didnt made any diffrence.
I'll try to make pictures of all bios pages i have.

Thanks for now Lupi..

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hello, I've got news.

Just made pictures u requested. Entire bios.

Anyway, I've got problems now:

- if computer is shuted down, you have to shut down PowerSupply, Power Up powersupply again. Start computer (says overclocking faild), restart it, and then it works.
- if I restart computer (cpu fan doesnt startup), I have to restart computer using button for restart on chaisis.
- when i come in windows, explorer doesnt start (desktop and that ****), only My computer opens up and screen is black ( solution: alt + ctrl + del, shutdown process explorer, Run program "explorer" and it works)

All screen shots are here: www.thejacky.com/PC/

Thanks, In advance !

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Wow, what did you do to your Memory sub timings?? Put Write recovery time back on Auto, and the rest of the ones you set as 10! Put the sub timings on Auto. Unless you look up your specific ram and get all those, its best to leave them on Auto.

See the DRAM Frequency option that you have on Auto? Place that in either 1:1 or it may call it sync mode. That will be sure that your RAM runs at double the FSB speed. What we want for now.

Lots of times the memory will make it have to do that auto recover to stock settings thing. You can also get failed programs as well. For instance, Windows explored, Super fetch, Pre fetch.. they become background junk, and will be the first to bomb out because they are last to be maintained.

Try that just to see if it stops the auto re boot with recovery function.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Uhhh... see where it says configure DRAM timing by SPD? Disable that. You should be allowed to change each field of your memory timings now.

Then place the primary ones where they belong. if your ram is 4-4-4-15, enter it, then turn the rest on Auto.

It would be totally useless if you could only change the frequency which it runs at. because that frequency is based on something else, lol!

We DO NOT want them on auto.

We wanna manually enter in the x-x-x-xx, then turn only HALF of them on Auto.

You have your VCore on Auto as well... Its a 1.3500 VID.. Hmm... You can also try and set the VCore to something simple like 1.4125 in the Bios as well. Your chip is currently getting near 1.40 volts while idling in the bios, so that means its Bios VCore must be near 1.45ish. I dont believe you need too much to get 500Hmz. So try it out when you get the chance.

--Lupi

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hey,

Its me again =)

I found out my ram's are 5-5-5-5-15 or somthing.
But if i set it up like that, pc doesnt wana start up.

I'm not rly pro in setting up rams :( specialy not on this mobo :)

Can you please tell me exacly what i gota change from img's I gave you ?

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hi, I dont know whats going on anymore :)

I just cleaned up pc a bit (chaisis inside) and it runns well now. I dont got any problems with bios anymore. (atleast seems so so far)

but now i'm having temperature problems lol. PC warm's up to 62°C (CPU).

Is that too much or its nothing special ?
I readed that max is 82°C but I'm worried already cuz of 62.

Just asking.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hello !!! I just got new MOBO ! :p

Gigabyte ep35-ds4 !!!

My CPU runs at 2.96 GHZ now xD...

Easly overclocked it that far with this mobo.

Iddle temps: CPU 50°C
Overloaded: CPU 60°C

is that bad ?

I love this mobo so much :p finnaly i can overclock my cpu up to 3.2ghz or more with stock cooling xD

G

my e6420 is stable upto 3.6 ghz but puts out a bit too much heat so I keep it at 3.2 ghz... very noticeable increase in speed

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Well i'd like to have it on 3.2ghz too but.
I'm afraid of How long my cpu gona run like this and temps are pretty high already at this speed.