[SOLVED] Overclocking my Asus GL702ZC RX580

Apr 1, 2020
So i picked up a used Asus Rog gl702zc with Rx580 4GB that ive been playing Insurgency sandstorm with. The gpu had bios core locked @ 1077, I did manage to find modded bios that i flashed with ati/amd winflash. Now im clocked @ 1288 core (Low/Medium settings with vsync never drops below 60 fps). I did some further testing @1480 core that was stable, But instead of an improvement the fps declined down into the 40fps range? I'm trying to push this card to its max! I was wondering if this could have something to do with voltage or what? I know its not thermal issue cause I just boost my fans so it's allways below 70C. Should I be messing with my voltage or powerlimit setting too?

Last edited:
Solution
Are you using AMD Settings to do your adjustments?

I generally help people with their Polaris DESKTOP GPU tuning, but perhaps the same thing applies in the mobile arena. I'd be interested to find out:

Here's a thread I put together on how to do manual voltage adjustments. It was composed during the "older" 2019 WattMan layout, but you can see/expose the same settings in 20.2.2 by enabling "Manual" control in Performance Settings, as well as "advanced control"
30-1080.8e643878.jpg

**Note - this picture is not mine. Just a representation of the new 2020 Performance tab.

As an FYI, here's some points along the curve that I've generally found stable for most cards.
1000MHz =...
You're likely hitting a power limit and not ACTUALLY getting 1480MHz if you haven't gotten into manual voltage settings yet. Especially since this is a laptop. Are you just leaving everything on Auto and pushing the frequency bar up?

If you want to do this the "easy" and hot way, you'll need to increase the "power limit %" to achieve the frequencies you're targeting.

What voltage is getting applied at 1480MHz?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
You're likely hitting a power limit and not ACTUALLY getting 1480MHz if you haven't gotten into manual voltage settings yet. Especially since this is a laptop. Are you just leaving everything on Auto and pushing the frequency bar up?

If you want to do this the "easy" and hot way, you'll need to increase the "power limit %" to achieve the frequencies you're targeting.

What voltage is getting applied at 1480MHz?
Everything besides core clock is still at default
Might try increasing powerlimit by 20%

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
Download a program (I prefer GPUz) to monitor stats of your GPU so you know what the actual frequency is.
I got gpuz and cpuz, manage to get this thing boosted up pretty good stable at 1450 core(1480 crashed pc) and 2150 memory with 50%+ powerlimit... did some userbenchmark and was checking thought the list and did better than the guy below me running a msi rx 580 8gb desktop version. Just going to have watch these temps @ 55% fan speed it touched 75c on gpu. Also got this r7 1700 cpu rocking at 3.6 and turbo 4.2ghz it stayed cooler than the gpu.

I generally help people with their Polaris DESKTOP GPU tuning, but perhaps the same thing applies in the mobile arena. I'd be interested to find out:

Here's a thread I put together on how to do manual voltage adjustments. It was composed during the "older" 2019 WattMan layout, but you can see/expose the same settings in 20.2.2 by enabling "Manual" control in Performance Settings, as well as "advanced control"
30-1080.8e643878.jpg

**Note - this picture is not mine. Just a representation of the new 2020 Performance tab.

As an FYI, here's some points along the curve that I've generally found stable for most cards.
1000MHz = 890mV
1100MHz = 910mV
1200MHz = 940mV (this 940mV is typically an inflection point on the curve, it gets steeper above this value. Notice that values below this are ~25mV/100MHz and values above are 100mV/100MHz)
1300MHz = 1030mV
1400MHz = 1150mV

VRAM voltage is usually fine at 930-950mV. (that sets the lowest voltage that will be applied to the core when not idle).

Solution
Apr 1, 2020

30-1080.8e643878.jpg

1000MHz = 890mV
1100MHz = 910mV
1200MHz = 940mV (this 940mV is typically an inflection point on the curve, it gets steeper above this value. Notice that values below this are ~25mV/100MHz and values above are 100mV/100MHz)
1300MHz = 1030mV
1400MHz = 1150mV

VRAM voltage is usually fine at 930-950mV. (that sets the lowest voltage that will be applied to the core when not idle).
Ive been using Msi Afterburner

May 13, 2020
So i picked up a used Asus Rog gl702zc with Rx580 4GB that ive been playing Insurgency sandstorm with. The gpu had bios core locked @ 1077, I did manage to find modded bios that i flashed with ati/amd winflash. Now im clocked @ 1288 core (Low/Medium settings with vsync never drops below 60 fps). I did some further testing @1480 core that was stable, But instead of an improvement the fps declined down into the 40fps range? I'm trying to push this card to its max! I was wondering if this could have something to do with voltage or what? I know its not thermal issue cause I just boost my fans so it's allways below 70C. Should I be messing with my voltage or powerlimit setting too?
Hi,
would you please provide some infos and links to how you were able to overclock the GPU taking into account that it is not available by default on laptops? I have the same Asus laptop as yours and have been struggling to find a way to overclock the GPU with no success.
Thanks in advance