Overclocking my GPU caused a PC crash, now I'm in a 'Automatic Repair' loop

poundej

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Hi Guys,

So I was overclocking my GPU (GTX 970) and I OC'd it too much and it caused a driver crash. My screen came back on and a notification popped up saying 'Driver crash, please restart PC' so I did, and now I'm in a Automatic Repair loop... The PC restarts and is says Automatic Repair, then takes me to a blue screen saying 'Your PC did not start correctly' and a restart and advanced options buttons. I click restart, and it does the same thing over again and I end up back on this blue screen?! How do I get back on my PC? :(

P.s safe mode doesn't work

Solution
Which version of Windows are you running? You might be able to press F8 while booting to display the Windows boot menu; right after your POST messages have completed start mashing F8. From there the "Last Known Good Configuration" may be the solution. Give it a shot! (it could also be under advanced options)

Crevarius

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Which version of Windows are you running? You might be able to press F8 while booting to display the Windows boot menu; right after your POST messages have completed start mashing F8. From there the "Last Known Good Configuration" may be the solution. Give it a shot! (it could also be under advanced options)

Solution

poundej

Reputable
May 2, 2015

Fortunately, and unfortunately, it was a new PC, so I didn't have many files on it at all so I just formatted my HDD and reinstalled windows. All is good now. Second time I'm downloading GTA V in one week, oh help me

Nov 8, 2019
I had a similar problem, where windows 10 would be in a boot loop, but the BIOS was working fine. (Z170-E with i7-6700k)

I had already went into my BIOS to set the parameters back to default, but it kept going to the troubleshoot screen, with the only options being "Reset this PC" and "Advanced Options"

Under advanced options, I went to startup options, and had to reset my computer to get to a menu. From there, I was able to use an option to boot in safe mode. After that, I logged in, restarted my computer one last time, and it's working just fine. I was able to tweak my overclocking a bit more carefully after that.