Overclocking my R9 280X

TopherNewski

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Hey guys. I am pretty savvy when it comes to hardware but, OC'ing is new to me. Got my old warhorse FX 6100 6 core over 4Ghz stable so...that's something. What I need to know is: Where do I START THE PROCESS of overclocking my XFX DD R9 280X? ALl I see in their stock tools is a bunch of "Eyefinity" stuff and basically fluff for display. I need some nuts and bolts software. Where do I start looking and THEN WHAT??! lol.

Happy holidays everyone :) Appreciate the help in advance.

Eman25th

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

right click radeon settings icon on your tray bar ---> open radeon settings ----> gaming tab ---> global settings ----> global overdrive

TopherNewski

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

TopherNewski

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
much appreciated!! It was right there in front of me and I missed it. Now....I found that even minor alterations made my computer instantly unstable...so that is kind of a bummer. I did have my FX 6100 cranked way higher than ever before (4+ Ghz) so...I tuned that back down and I will try and play with it incrementally at another time. The main issue for now is my gamer doubles as my work from home PC now. I have to be careful. So I have this PC (i7 6300...6K-something anyway...based with GTX 745) I am now trying to configure as a work machine. It was just kind of sitting there since purchase...the old owner having passed shortly after buying. I just was having panic attacks every time I played a game as I was afraid something would set my machine on fire and work would become impossible. Once I have my ducks in a row I'll try cranking eveything back up again.

quick question: You guys think hopping from an FX 6100 to the 6350 is worth it? It would require minimal effort, and I feel like it would compliment the new ASUS Z170 and 480X I am getting. Or should I bite the bullet and go up into the 8000 or 9000 FX series? So many to choose from now...not sure where the sweet spot for gamers lies....

Thanks again!!!