Overclocking my Ryzen rig?

Sep 11, 2018
Hi, I was considering overclocking my CPU as it supports it but I am still very new to the whole thing and I'm not sure if I have the right components or not and im not even sure where to begin

here's my components' list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (With stock cooler)
RAM: a single 8 GB ram stick (its speed is 2133 MHz probably, not too certain)
MOBO: ASUS Prime b350m-A
GFX Card: AMD RX 560 4gb
HDD: 1 TB
PSU: Zalman ZM500-GV

Ryzen 5 1400, being 4 cores, is a good chip to overclock since it won't load even a weak VRM too much. But the stock wraith cooler on it is not gonna do for pushing it. You might look to getting something better, like a Hyper 212 (very economical for the performance) at least.

The prime b350 m-a's worse problem is it doesn't have heatsinking on the VCore FET's but seeing as you have a 4 core 1400 it shouldn't matter too much. I've seen guys pumping an 8 core 1700 at 4 Gig on prime's (but it was to prove a point that just cause you can doesn't mean you should.) Even so, if you should get to a high overclock comfortably you should look at putting something on the FET's, maybe a fan to cool them.

Also: what ram do you have? it may be good for more than 2133 so definitely give that a go. Even low-speed stuff might get to 2600 and that's better than 2133. If you determine you need 16 Gig don't fall in the trap of buying another single stick of 8 though: that rarely works out well as you need to get two sticks as a matched kit in DDR4.

Sep 11, 2018

I just checked what's my RAM speed and its 2400 MHz, not too bad I think. Maybe I should get 4 x 4 GB of 2667 MHz ones?

And what kind of cooling solution I could use for my MoBo FET? Like just an ordinary 120/140mm fan? (I already have two of them)

Do you reckon that Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L would be a good cooling option?

Cheers! ^_^

If overclocking is your intent avoid 4 sticks of RAM as it loads down the CPU's MMU and restricts your potential, or at best creates unnecessary problems getting there . Two sticks are best, in dual channel.

AIO's with 120mm radiators lack sufficient thermal capacity; meaning it thermally saturates and temperature will start to rise. Suggest a 240mm radiator at least or a good air cooler...that CM Hyper 212 is much cheaper and is very good. Should be perfect for a 1400 even over-clocked.

Sep 11, 2018

I see...
Evo 212 it is then! but as for my ram, should I just buy another 2400 mhz 8 gb stick or buy a brand new couple?

2400 isn't exactly pushing a high ram clock speed, but if you get a single stick try to make it the exact same mfr and type and even then don't be surprised if you're stuck at no better than 2400. If you can swing it, get a matched pair (kit) and try to get 2666 or better. 3200 is the ideal speed but a 1400 (which are usually lower binned for a reason) may prove difficult to get there even with recent updates.

BTW: Ryzen really loves higher speed memory because a key part of the processor (the infinity fabric) is tied to the memory clock speed.

Sep 11, 2018

Sweet! I guess I'll try to get this kit then! https://classic.pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=4818767

Also, EVO 212 is discontinued in NZ and buying it overseas would be more expensive than buying anything newer locally...
Would you reckon this cooler would do me fine? https://classic.pricespy.co.nz/product.php?e=3241232