Overclocking Nehalem "almost As Good As Having A Second Graphics Card" - Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark testers will have a hard time with this turbo mode. I wonder to get an apples to apples compare to phenom would testers need to overclock 2 cores and underclock the other 2? Maybe it would only be an equal test to turn off turbo mode. The AMD utility would be a bit harder for the average computer user so im not sure and noise or power draw would surly go against intel if turbo mode was only allowed.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
what will this mean for "normal" overclocking? could we still take a 2.6GHz Nehalem and overclock to 3.8GHz? (like we can do with current processors)

DO we have to start working out TDP numbers to overclock? (i.e how much TDP will my water cooling take?)

some new OC guides might be in order.

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
So I can buy a 4870x2 now and get great frame rates, or, buy a 4870, wait several months, and get "almost" the same performance. Easy choice, huh?

exiled scotsman

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I suspect most people will just disable turbo mode. Although, if you do the math and overclocking with turbo mode might be the better choice. Especially if you can customize it. Say you are running a game. Nahelam detects that the game is single threaded shuts down two cores. It would be awesome if you could set rules to tell nehalem that when its in this mode to overclock the active cores to say 3.8-4.0Ghz. Once I'm out of single thread mode, and running multithread app, activate the idle cores, downclock to 3Ghz, and go on your way.

jincongz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
erm, do you really want to go single threaded with games with vista? I think you might want to stick with two cores...

Indubstylo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I think MAC OS has alot of influence in the innovation behind intel's upcoming products. In the end MAC OS will probably benefit the most from the fruits of intel's work. Windows still hasn't been engineered to utilize such processing power efficiently.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Turbo sounds like laptop power management. Such a tremendous innovation. Did I miss something? Cruise control? Well it's not autopilot, is it? I'm having a space odyssey. And HAL is taking over the grafx era.

omg - all this endless talk - so we get a bigger spin on the prespun turbothingy and now we are told they have a monster computer. Then we are given a quik review of software for home movies (o neato) and the author likes that supr8 app that was seen at comdorx. fascinating.

SHOW ME - shutup and push the start button - btw nice party you have here - no babe pix, nice touch. Where's the bar and the food.

People seem lost on the convention floor.

iocedmyself

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
You know what else would be awesome? If it din't come with an intel preffered customer 4-digit price tag. 140 - 190w heat load? what happened to low-power/low-heat/high-performance that they've been pimping for so long?

Benchmarks have been limited, and until the chips actually hit the market and are tested by consumers...they don't mean anything. It doesn't matter if intel already has the performance lead or not, they cheat...time, after time...after time. Overclocking the thing is like having another gpu? Right, i'm sure raising the clock by20 or even 30% is going to match the 800-1200 Gigaflop/sec gpu processing power of an nvidia or ati card.

Well actually, this being intel i suppose they could be using thier forthcoming larrabee as the referance.....i'd believe that. I mean, their 8 core larrabee, launching in the timely fashion of 6-9 short months will offer breath-taking computation performance of UP TO 250 Gigaflops/sec, sure that's about 1/5th the power of a $270 single core card that's already 3 months old...

on the otherhand, that puts it in the realm of possibly delivering performance UP TO par with that of the ati x850XT PE card...the best video card that 2004 had to offer. GPU computation power has increased by a factor of 5.5 - 6 times in 3.5 years. But hey, it will only be a year between when the 4870 launched and when larrabee hits the market, and statistically single core gpu performance only rises by 42% each year.

But whatever, if it's great for the $700-$1500 price bracket good for them. Personally i'm more interested in AMD's 45nm Shanghi. 4x512K L2 cache, 6mb L3 cache, DDR2 and DDR3 compatible through the cpu's IMC. The engineering samples that have gotten out are clocked from 2.3 - 3.2gjz. At 2.4 it already has a 30-40% clock-for-clock gain over 2.6ghz phenom's and even at 3.2ghz with 100% load on all cores the chip only has a power draw of 55-60 watts.When nothing can take productive advantage of any cpu's full potential as it is, would rather get the sub $300 chip that doesn't require immiediate upgrade to ddr3 that costs more than the cpu

What will be really interesting is why would anyone pay the $1000+ for the 3.2GHz version when the 2.4GHz in turbo is nearly as fast. Currently this is true for only those that can overclock. I think this will force Intel to increase the price of low end to near $600 unlike what has been suggested.

AMD's overclock tool requires a good deal of experience so Intel new design could have a few growing pains.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
How is this an issue for benchmarks or anything else? They said it can be turned off, so just turn it off. It's like a more annoying version of speedstep, not really a big issue at all.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I love to see the AMD fanbois whine like babies that had their bottle snatched away.

Don't worry I don't think Intel wants AMD to go belly up, just be sufficiently crippled so they aren't a problem.

I blame AMD for the slow introduction of Nehalem. If they gave Intel any real competition we would already have it.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[if i'm understanding the above description correctly]

I've been sorting my pictures/videos by dates for ages, like many others have, I'm sure. While they are usually(default) sorted by file name...they are usually named in the order they are taken--which, coincidentally, is by date. Anyway, I'm a little surprised how impressed the writer is about this feature, which seems like it should be a given to me.

Regardless, a better organizational system implemented in the standard windows environment is convenient.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I hope Intel dies. I mean that with the best interest for them. They like being number one a little 2 much, i hope somewhere along the lines they fail. Either with there new CPU or stupid GPU. I really want the GPU to be a flop, they r not taking away my nvidia card out of any PC i ever own. I hope they die. XD

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]iocedmyself[/nom]You know what else would be awesome? If it din't come with an intel preffered customer 4-digit price tag. 140 - 190w heat load? what happened to low-power/low-heat/high-performance that they've been pimping for so long?Benchmarks have been limited, and until the chips actually hit the market and are tested by consumers...they don't mean anything. It doesn't matter if intel already has the performance lead or not, they cheat...time, after time...after time. Overclocking the thing is like having another gpu? Right, i'm sure raising the clock by20 or even 30% is going to match the 800-1200 Gigaflop/sec gpu processing power of an nvidia or ati card.Well actually, this being intel i suppose they could be using thier forthcoming larrabee as the referance.....i'd believe that. I mean, their 8 core larrabee, launching in the timely fashion of 6-9 short months will offer breath-taking computation performance of UP TO 250 Gigaflops/sec, sure that's about 1/5th the power of a $270 single core card that's already 3 months old...on the otherhand, that puts it in the realm of possibly delivering performance UP TO par with that of the ati x850XT PE card...the best video card that 2004 had to offer. GPU computation power has increased by a factor of 5.5 - 6 times in 3.5 years. But hey, it will only be a year between when the 4870 launched and when larrabee hits the market, and statistically single core gpu performance only rises by 42% each year.But whatever, if it's great for the $700-$1500 price bracket good for them. Personally i'm more interested in AMD's 45nm Shanghi. 4x512K L2 cache, 6mb L3 cache, DDR2 and DDR3 compatible through the cpu's IMC. The engineering samples that have gotten out are clocked from 2.3 - 3.2gjz. At 2.4 it already has a 30-40% clock-for-clock gain over 2.6ghz phenom's and even at 3.2ghz with 100% load on all cores the chip only has a power draw of 55-60 watts.When nothing can take productive advantage of any cpu's full potential as it is, would rather get the sub $300 chip that doesn't require immiediate upgrade to ddr3 that costs more than the cpu[/citation]
A Q6600 runs 210 watts easily,I don't know what reality you came from.The current wattage TDP's sucked ass and were bullshit to begin with.
[citation][nom]Giovanni86[/nom]I hope Intel dies. I mean that with the best interest for them. They like being number one a little 2 much, i hope somewhere along the lines they fail. Either with there new CPU or stupid GPU. I really want the GPU to be a flop, they r not taking away my nvidia card out of any PC i ever own. I hope they die. XD[/citation]
Why? Then there's gonna be AMD being a monopoly.I don't see the logic behind it.

Ok finally some information to clear this turbo mode up. Intel will only allow +1 bin for dual core turbo mode and +2 bin for single core turbo mode. I was about to Intel was nearly going to throw out price based on GHz.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Giovanni86[/nom]I hope Intel dies. I mean that with the best interest for them. They like being number one a little 2 much, i hope somewhere along the lines they fail. Either with there new CPU or stupid GPU. I really want the GPU to be a flop, they r not taking away my nvidia card out of any PC i ever own. I hope they die. XD[/citation]

Then stop using everything that has intel influence for a day and see how you like living in he 1960's kid. Even your car has technology that in one way or another has been developed on transistors that they innovated.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
That 190W BIOS TDP setting may make things somewhat exciting if you're using a phase-change cooler, and it could also take you into a brick wall if you're trying to water cool.

I've got an unlimited supply of R404A - bring it on!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]iocedmyself[/nom]Personally i'm more interested in AMD's 45nm Shanghi. 4x512K L2 cache, 6mb L3 cache, DDR2 and DDR3 compatible through the cpu's IMC. The engineering samples that have gotten out are clocked from 2.3 - 3.2gjz. At 2.4 it already has a 30-40% clock-for-clock gain over 2.6ghz phenom's and even at 3.2ghz with 100% load on all cores the chip only has a power draw of 55-60 watts.When nothing can take productive advantage of any cpu's full potential as it is, would rather get the sub $300 chip that doesn't require immiediate upgrade to ddr3 that costs more than the cpu[/citation]
ioced, got anything to back up you said? I was planning to get a Nehalem this Christmas but it seems that it won't be available (at sub $300) until H2 2009 so I am looking to get an AM3. It would be great is AM3 chips can match Yorkfield clock for clock.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]safcmanFR[/nom]what will this mean for "normal" overclocking? could we still take a 2.6GHz Nehalem and overclock to 3.8GHz? (like we can do with current processors)DO we have to start working out TDP numbers to overclock? (i.e how much TDP will my water cooling take?)some new OC guides might be in order.[/citation]
he said turbo can be disabled. sigh...

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ZootyGray[/nom]Turbo sounds like laptop power management. Such a tremendous innovation. Did I miss something? Cruise control? Well it's not autopilot, is it? I'm having a space odyssey. And HAL is taking over the grafx era.omg - all this endless talk - so we get a bigger spin on the prespun turbothingy and now we are told they have a monster computer. Then we are given a quik review of software for home movies (o neato) and the author likes that supr8 app that was seen at comdorx. fascinating.SHOW ME - shutup and push the start button - btw nice party you have here - no babe pix, nice touch. Where's the bar and the food.People seem lost on the convention floor.[/citation]

Here this should shut you up:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3344&p=11

Until these are these results are reversed, never come back to this site.

Overall, the conclusion here isn't too much different from the Phenom re-launch and the X3 reviews: AMD's CPU division is finally competitive again. The return to competition isn't because of an increase in performance or architectural changes, it's simply through very aggressive pricing.

When a CPU company competes on pricing instead of technology your company has some work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.