Overclocking Questions for i5 2500k

Stefe04

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
After hitting a CPU bottleneck last week, I've decided to ramp up my CPU speeds just a tad to see if I can fix that. I'm currently running stock cooling on my CPU and have ordered a Hyper 212 EVO and some MX-4 to help cool down my 2500k while I try and overclock it. I've also done some research on how to overclock my specific CPU.

Before going ahead with it though, I've got a few questions:

- What frequencies can I expect if I decide to not alter my current voltages? The maximum I've seen on HWMonitor is around 1.26v (VID). If I do need to bump it up, I kind of want to play it safe and not go over 1.3v.

- With this CPU being approximately 3 years old since I first bought it, how bad does an overclock at this stage affect the life expectancy? I'm not looking for super high overclocks - something around 4.2 to 4.4GHz would be ample for me. I'd really like it to last another 2-3 years.

- After reading through some overclocking guides, I've seen a plethora of settings that I might have to tamper with. The basic ones - vcore and cpu ratio specifically - I have a pretty good understanding of, but stuff like LLC, VID, Vdroop/Vdrop, Offset Voltage, Memory Timings, etc. are getting my mind in a twist. Should I be worried about these settings if I'm just aiming for a modest overclock?

- Besides getting better cooling, are there any other preparations I'll need before attempting my overclock?

I'm currently running:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
CPU: i5 2500k @ 3.3 GHz (stock)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4 GB DDR3-1600

Sorry for the wall of text. I just really want to minimize any mishaps during my tweaking and I hope you guys can lend me a hand.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not a clue why you think you had a CPU bottle neck please explain that?
Overclocking has a 0% chance of harming your CPU the only thing that can is HEAT (well I guess you could hit it with 4 volts and about instant fry it )
Don't make it harder than it is, look at my specks I have never had a CPU bottle neck.
You should wipe that world from your vocabulary their always one somewhere and it can change depending on what your doing with the PC.
Simple 4.4 set your multiplier to 44 in BIOS take your Vcore off auto and set it at 2.6 save and exit. Rune Prime 95 to stress the CPU if you can run this it's stable. Note your temp It should not get much over 75C that's 10C over Intel 's recommendations but is not a real world temps when your just running the processor since your running it 100%
If this passes lower it buy 0.01 volts and try again, repeat till you fail then bump it up 0.01 or 0.02.
For my processor I have it at 2.8 volts for my 4.8 overclock my cooling is better and every processor is different so results vary.
On a side not the MX4 was pretty much wasted money the stuff that comes with the 212 would of worked just fine with maby a 1C difference.

Stefe04

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

2.6? 2.8? Those seem like dangerously high voltages, considering that the absolute maximum voltage for the 2500k is 1.5v.

I found the CPU bottleneck in certain games where the CPU usage hits 100% for all cores but my GPU is staying in the mid 80s.

If it's as simple as adjusting and fine-tuning vcore and the core multiplier, then I shouldn't be having too much trouble. Perhaps I just came across a few too many horror stories of people getting voltage spikes during testing because of a mystery setting or two.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Type O 1.26 for just 4.2 you might not need to add anything these chips overclock like a champ usually.
4.2 multiplier to 42 same volts could work but for the 4.4 I would start at 1.26 then test and work down.
Unless your trying to get the last 0.1 out of the processor their really nothing to change but the multiplier and V core for a mid range overclock.

Stefe04

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Alright, sounds good. I'll give it a shot once my cooler comes in. Many thanks for your input!