Question Overclocking Ram on MOBO AsRock ab350m pro4

Jul 9, 2019
Hi, so from the title. My problem is i can't overclock my ram over 2666 mhz. My ram is Corsair Vengence LPX 8GB -2400 1.2V CL16-- 16 16 16 16 39
I have my mobo asrock ab350m pro4 who can support 3200 OC.
My CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - at specs says something about DDR4-2666.
So, my question is, is my ram limited by my proccesor or can i still overclock?
I ask because i want to buy 3200 mhz ones, dual channel and i want to know if i am wasting my money.
I manage to raise from 2400 to 2666 how i said, with 1.35V, but more than that doesn't work. My pc keeps rebooting till entering in safe mode and start normal with 2400.

You are trying to push the ram too hard.

You will be very lucky to get 2400 to run at more than 2666.

The best thing you could do, is to run it at 2666mhz @ 1.25-1.35 and set all the timings to auto. Then test the ram using memtest86+. if it does 4 passes of memetest it will be pretty stable.
Once that is established, you can then try changing the basic timing settings from auto to much looser than above.

So your DIMMS are: 16-16-16-16-39. Try setting those timings at 18-18-18-18-41. The idea being that because you are OC the speed of the DIMMS, you need to compensate with looser timings to make them work stable. Then test again with memtest. OC ram is a real trial and error thing.

Once you have a stable baseline, you can try and push further. I've my 2400 dimms running at 2733, with CL18 timings. It's possible you could hit 2733, but each set of DIMMS are different as is the mobo you use, compared to mine. So hitting the same speeds or timings just may not be possible.

I have my Corsair Vengeance 2400 Mhz OC'd to 3333 Mhz with no problems. Do your RAM sticks have heat spreaders?

Well, you are rather lucky. Most DIMMS with lower speeds don't OC too high (typically 2-3 straps above stock), and that's for obvious reasons. Otherwise no-one would buy the higher speeds DIMMS, just buy the lower end ones and OC them!

Still, i'd love to see your timings, voltages etc as a matter of interest.

My B350M Gaming Pro has excellent RAM overclocking in it's BIOS. Basically all I had to do is choose 3333 from a list of speeds so I'm not sure about the statistics.

Well, lets say you were able to get a near 40% OC on a set of DIMMS as you've mentioned you have, if your timings are on auto, they will be so loose, that it may negate some of the benefits of having faster speeds. What timings do you use? Auto or manual. What voltage are you using? Auto/Manual? Can you show your CPU-z screen SPD/Mem tabs to illustrate? You can use something like AIDA64 to determine the latency of the DIMMS in OC speeds. You could test that at stock to see if the latency increase or decreases. If it increases, setting the speeds higher won't have that much of an affect if the latency is really high.

If there is something you are doing that can benefit others, it would be good to see. Ill try the 3333 setting on my own mobo later, which has a similar setting (as my DIMMS don't have an XMP/DOCP timings)

Jul 8, 2019
I forgot to mention that 3333 was the highest it would go and it took my PC a while to boot, it was testing something I suppose, turning off and on 4 times, 5th time around.... BOOM, 3333. I know it worked because Quake Champions had zero lag as I was playing.

I forgot to mention that 3333 was the highest it would go and it took my PC a while to boot, it was testing something I suppose, turning off and on 4 times, 5th time around.... BOOM, 3333. I know it worked because Quake Champions had zero lag as I was playing.

Well, that sounds totally unstable, and i'd imagine if you tested in any meaningful way, I'd expect it would fail. But, if you are happy with the outcome, then great. For anyone considering a solid/stable mem OC, there is a right way and wrong way to do it! Bumping up the speed by 40% and allowing the PC to boot fail over and over will not have done your system any good, and may also corrupt your OS.

Anyway, seeing as you won't provide details, lets stick to the OP's issue rather than being sidetracked :)

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
whats your VCCSA, VCCIO, VTTDDR voltages?
whats your ddr4 temperature? Dont exceed 1.35 dram voltage if temperatures get too high(if no thermal monitoring for ddr then try with finger if heatspreader is hot or not), and never exceed 1.40v dram voltage.
There are alot of other voltages to mess around than dram voltage which can be dangerous to raise too high

Jul 8, 2019
Corsair Vengeance 2400 Ghz RAM sticks are built for overclocking, 3333 is very stable and I have heat spreaders. Also, my Phantom case doubles as an air conditioner for my home, there is no heat problems.