[SOLVED] Overclocking ryzen 3600 at 4.4ghz

Aug 20, 2020
I was wondering what a decent score with cinebench r20 for an overclocked 3600 would be. Im running my cpu now at 1.325 v and 1.15 soc voltage at 4.4ghz with pbo off, as far as i can tell so far stable, and my temps during an 2 hour stress test not more than 73 degrees. My cinebench scores ate 3930 for the multi thread and 510 for single. So i was wondering are these allright scores for a 3600, or is this not worth the overclocking for?

Last edited:
Solution
:) Well, it means that it's not stable. As I suspected, your temps are a higher than you had at first because you hadn't really stress tested.

If you were gaming and that happened, then either the game would crash, or PC might restart.

For your max temp, the advice with overclocking is to keep it under 80c, and adjust your overclock speed and voltage to get you under that 80c mark.

Also, with Prime95, the temps could have gone higher the 86c if you didn't stop the test. It's very possible the true temp is above 86c.

So, maybe start with reducing the all core OC to 4.2, and test with Prime again. For a first test, you can run Prime95 for about an hour, and if no workers have stopped, you're on the right path. For really stable OC...
Hey there,

Well, firstly, if you have it posting at 4.4 all core OC, that's pretty good. You might post some screenies to show CPU z with the clocks, or HW monitor.

However, being stable is another thing altogether. Zen 2 (R3600), pretty much maxes out at about 4.2ghz, and often it's better to let PBO do it's job. There is little OC headroom with Zen 2.

What are you stress testing with. I find it hard to believe 73 degrees or less at 4.4ghz. You should be testing with Prime95 small fft's to give you max heat at a given voltage. Then you will know where your temps are at.

Maybe you have some AIO keeping the CPU cool, with loads of case fans? But, 73 for stressing seems low.

Aug 20, 2020
Hey there,

Well, firstly, if you have it posting at 4.4 all core OC, that's pretty good. You might post some screenies to show CPU z with the clocks, or HW monitor.

However, being stable is another thing altogether. Zen 2 (R3600), pretty much maxes out at about 4.2ghz, and often it's better to let PBO do it's job. There is little OC headroom with Zen 2.

What are you stress testing with. I find it hard to believe 73 degrees or less at 4.4ghz. You should be testing with Prime95 small fft's to give you max heat at a given voltage. Then you will know where your temps are at.

Maybe you have some AIO keeping the CPU cool, with loads of case fans? But, 73 for stressing seems low.
I was using open hardware monitor for the temps, im using a big tower from aerocool predator x have 2 x200 mm exhaust fans 1x 90mm intake fan and 1x 120 mm intake fan and another 90 and 120 mm fan as exhaust fans. I bought this case 2nd hand a week ago, and since then been tweaking around with overclocking with these the best results as far as i can t3ll. But im quite new to this so i dont know how to properly check if its stable, just ran a stress test so far and played some games and checked the max temp in open hardware monitor. So indeed i have no club if i checkec it correctie. I will post those screens tonight after work.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
Cinebench.jpg

Aug 20, 2020
Listen, you have some decent results there.

Test for stability as suggested, and tweak it to perfection. Vcore is pretty decent at 1.325v. That's pretty good. Check it with Prime and see where the temps go.

Let us know how you get on.
I assume if two 'workers ' stopped running within a prime thats q bad thing😅? Cause i have no idea where to look at i do see the max temp went up 86 degrees during the test.

:) Well, it means that it's not stable. As I suspected, your temps are a higher than you had at first because you hadn't really stress tested.

If you were gaming and that happened, then either the game would crash, or PC might restart.

For your max temp, the advice with overclocking is to keep it under 80c, and adjust your overclock speed and voltage to get you under that 80c mark.

Also, with Prime95, the temps could have gone higher the 86c if you didn't stop the test. It's very possible the true temp is above 86c.

So, maybe start with reducing the all core OC to 4.2, and test with Prime again. For a first test, you can run Prime95 for about an hour, and if no workers have stopped, you're on the right path. For really stable OC, most will run Prime for 8hrs+, if it passes, you know the CPU is stable.

Then adjust speed/voltage/fans in small increments to tweak it so it's perfectly stable.

Solution
Aug 20, 2020

So, maybe start with reducing the all core OC to 4.2, and test with Prime again. For a first test, you can run Prime95 for about an hour, and if no workers have stopped, you're on the right path. For really stable OC, most will run Prime for 8hrs+, if it passes, you know the CPU is stable.

Then adjust speed/voltage/fans in small increments to tweak it so it's perfectly stable.
Aii cheers man, the help is much appreciated. Im going to check it out tonight. The fans are always on full cause i dont mind the sound, thats not a bad thing right?

No worries!

The fans are spinning up to full speed, because the CPU is hot. If you follow a process for overclocking, and start low, and work your way up, testing along the way, you'll be able to get a solid OC, with temps under 80c and your fans won't be as loud because the CPU won't be so hot.

There's a balance to find, hit the sweetspot, and you will be happy out! :)

If you need any more assistance, you can PM me, and we can try work through some numbers etc, and see if we can get you stable.

Aug 20, 2020
No worries!

The fans are spinning up to full speed, because the CPU is hot. If you follow a process for overclocking, and start low, and work your way up, testing along the way, you'll be able to get a solid OC, with temps under 80c and your fans won't be as loud because the CPU won't be so hot.

There's a balance to find, hit the sweetspot, and you will be happy out! :)

If you need any more assistance, you can PM me, and we can try work through some numbers etc, and see if we can get you stable.
Ah i set the fans by my self on 100% i thought vould not harm some extra airflow haha. Thanks so much mate i defintely will

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Ah i set the fans by my self on 100% i thought would not harm some extra airflow haha. Thanks so much mate i defintely will
Ah, yeah. Leave the fans on auto, or maybe with a slightly more aggressive fan curve. You shouldn't really ever have to have the fans at 100%, with the exception of stressing.

No bother dude! Take care, and have a good one!

You can close the thread out by choosing an answer as the solution .