[SOLVED] Overclocking Ryzen 7 1700

jevingrey

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys, I need help in deciding to OC (buying new processor is expensive) or not to OC (OC can degrade components lifespan).

I want my PC to run faster for Games and handle heavy CAD/BIM/GIS/Data Analytics/Programming works.

Initially I am planning to upgrade to Ryzen 7 3800x and avoid OC.

But I've read that proper OC will have a slow rate of degrading components.

Below is my current build info:

CPU - Ryzen 7 1700
COOLER - Wraith Spire (Planning to upgrade to Noctua NH-D15 SSO2)
MOBO - AsRock X370 Taichi (bios 5.60. I was on the verge to buy 3800x)
GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
RAM - 32GB (2 – 16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB
SDD - 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5” SATA III
1TB WD Blue 2.5” SATA III
PSU - Seasonic 650W Focus Gold
CASE - Corsair Carbide 500R
FANS - 7 fans (2-120 Top, 2-120 Front, 1-120 Bot, 1-200 Side, 1-120 Rear)

Questions:

1. Since OC is cheaper option, can someone help me/teach me in overclocking to 3.8-4.0 SAFELY?
  2. Aside from upgrading cooler, what are the other components I need to upgrade when I OC my CPU?
  3. I am planning to upgrade my RAM early to 64GB and run it @ 3200, do I need another cooler for RAM or PC fans are enough to cool it?
  4. I am planning to change PC case to Meshify C. Is this ok if I am planning to OC?

Thanks guys.

Solution
This is pretty much all you need: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

It's a great guide for beginners and those who've already dipped their toes into the world of OC system components. My advise, read read and read it again. Be sure what you want to achieve, and follow the guide step by step, testing along the way. This way you will ensure that you have a stable OC, with repeatable, sustainable results.

Reactions: jevingrey
Solution
Questions:

1. Since OC is cheaper option, can someone help me/teach me in overclocking to 3.8-4.0 SAFELY?
  2. Aside from upgrading cooler, what are the other components I need to upgrade when I OC my CPU?
  3. I am planning to upgrade my RAM early to 64GB and run it @ 3200, do I need another cooler for RAM or PC fans are enough to cool it?
  4. I am planning to change PC case to Meshify C. Is this ok if I am planning to OC?
Thanks guys.

1. Follow the overclocking guide previously shown. Most 1700's can easily get 3.8-3.9 SAFELY. Pushing up from 3.9 to 4.0 frequently needs a lot more voltage and throws a lot more heat so whether that is SAFE depends more on you. This sounds like a stop-gap measure so long processor life may not be a priority anyway.
  2. I seem to recall X370 Taichi have tolerable VRM's so better cooling is generally all you'd need extra... a 240mm AIO or large tower (NH-D14 or 15 plus full complement of case fans) air cooler is great.
  3. DDR4 runs very cool and doesn't need cooling. Getting 64 GB to 3.2 G on a Ryzen 1000 can be sketchy though, probably not likely if you have to use 4 DIMM's. Good luck with that.
  4. I don't know cases that well but if 'Mesh'ify cases live up to their name it sounds like they'd have good airflow. That would bode well for overclocking.

Reactions: jevingrey