Overclocking stable, restart after was not.

alchemistdragon

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Hello everyone,
I have a question about what could cause a PC not to completely shutdown after restart/shutdown after overclocking. The harddrive shuts off but the fans, LEDs, and liquid coolers do not.

I overclocked my processor from 3.4Ghz to 4Ghz (temp <50C). It ran cool and the prime95 test ran stable. What could cause it to not restart/shutdown completely? After I restored everything to factory settings there was no issue restarting.

Solution
You should also run the Small FFTs and Large FFTs tests; Blend tests the RAM a lot as well, so it might not pick up on CPU instability.

And yeah, dirty or not-enough power would certainly have an impact on this situation. Please report back once you replace the wire for further insight, if necessary.

alchemistdragon

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
I ran the blend test for 3 hours. I read numerous articles forums and it seemed the best time frame to run it for what I do on a day to day basis. Anytime I tried overclocking it to 4.0Ghz it had problems shutting down completely (various voltages were tried as well).

Also I read that the power cable (from wall to PSU) could have a short. Checked the wire and seems to be broken, going to replace it this week.

ihog

Distinguished
You should also run the Small FFTs and Large FFTs tests; Blend tests the RAM a lot as well, so it might not pick up on CPU instability.

And yeah, dirty or not-enough power would certainly have an impact on this situation. Please report back once you replace the wire for further insight, if necessary.

Solution