Overclocking USB 3.0 ... Is it possible?

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello all,

Right I have used this guide many times on my old rig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_hZipKt72M and it worked like a charm, But now I have Gaming laptop which has all USB 3.0.

It took me a while to figure out why the Overclocking for the mouse wasn't working on my laptop.

Does anybody know of a way to overclock a Microsoft Intelli 1.1a on USB 3.0 port?

Before anybody says it .. I have had many mice and nothing IMO compares to this, The Intelli mouse has default 125hz polling but I want to overclock it to 500hz like before on my older rig.

thanks all

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
With the above link, I used to overclock the polling rate from 125hz to 500 or even 1000hz but my old rig used USB 2.0 and it works on that, but with USB 3.0 ports you cant overclock the mouse it seems unless told otherwise. basically it uses windows 7 test mode to install assigned driver for it the overclocking.

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
No, I have SS USB's on my laptop and no USB 2.0'S .... the trick in the video above worked on USB 2.0 but will not work on USB 3.0

The whole point of the excercise is to change the polling RATE of a mouse from 125hz to 500hz for smoother operation

"Polling Rate Explained
A mouse’s polling rate is how often it reports its position to a computer. Polling rate is measured in Hz. If a mouse has a 125 Hz polling rate, it’s reporting its position to the computer 125 times every second. In other words, 125 Hz polling rate means the mouse is reporting its position to the computer every 8 milliseconds. A 500 Hz rate would mean that the mouse is reporting its position to the computer every 2 milliseconds.

A mouse that officially supports a higher polling rate will generally allow you to select a polling rate in its control panel. Some mice may have hardware switches to adjust their polling rate on the fly, too.

A higher polling rate could decrease the lag that occurs between when you move your mouse and when the movement shows up on your screen. On the other hand, a higher polling rate will use more CPU resources as the CPU has to query the mouse for its position more often."

Like I mentioned in the initial message, I can't find a gaming mouse out there as good as the Microsoft intellimouse 1.1A < - This mouse is perfect and light.

So back to my question : anyway way of using the above trick on USB 3.0 ports to overclock the polling rate of the mouse ?

althex

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If you want better polling rate on your mouse, you're going to have to let go of your old optical mouse. I'm sure you haven't tried all the gaming mice out there. A laser gaming mouse really isn't that heavy & uncomfortable.
Besides even if you can "overclock" your USB port I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in response time. If I move my optical mouse's cursor at work up, it moves up, immediately, there is no delay.
I used to use a Microsoft Intelli mouse also & for the last couple of years I've been using the old Corsair Vengeance M60 & it has served me well

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Solved my problem .... for this to work on USB 3.0 ports or even if it's a preset setting within the bios on laptops but if you disable xHCI within the bios under USB configs .. the fix will work