Question Overclocking Xeon x3440 increasing BCLK

Feb 25, 2019
My spec:

Processor: Xeon X3440

Mobo: Asrock P55m pro

RAM: Kingstone Hyperx 2x4gb 1866mhz

I don't have much knowledge on Overclocking.

I heard increasing BCLK will increase bus speed for all the components and can cause damage to RAM, SSD

As my CPU don't have unlocked multiplier, is it safe to OC increasing BCLK, for RAM, SSD ?? I don't have much concern about the processor and motherboard.
I was successful with the following :

BCLK: 200
CPU ratio : 17
Ram: 1600 mhz
Speed: 3.4ghz

Cpu voltage : 1.35000 V
Vtt: 1.23V
DRAM: 1.59V

and with this system running well.

With increasing the CPU ration to more like 18 also working fine, but while i restart my pc, it acts like a shut down and then start.

i am happy with that 3.4ghz, but afraid of if increasing the BCLK so much can cause any damage to my ram and SSD.

I also tried following -

BCLK: 160
CPU ratio : turbo (20)
Speed: 3.2 ghz

But in this case the performance is a bit lower than the previous.

So keeping BCLK to 200 is my choice.

But i need your suggestion regarding the lifetime of RAM, SSD. Will i choose setting no. 1 or 2 or won't overclock at all ??

compprob237

Distinguished
My spec:
Processor: Xeon X3440
Mobo: Asrock P55m pro
RAM: Kingstone Hyperx 2x4gb 1866mhz

I don't have much knowledge on Overclocking. I heard increasing BCLK will increase bus speed for all the components and can cause damage to RAM, SSD

As my CPU don't have unlocked multiplier, is it safe to OC increasing BCLK, for RAM, SSD ?? I don't have much concern about the processor and motherboard.
I was successful with the following :

BCLK: 200
CPU ratio : 17
Speed: 3.4ghz

Cpu voltage : 1.35000 V
Vtt: 1.23V
DRAM: 1.59V

and with this system running well.

With increasing the CPU ration to more like 18 also working fine, but while i restart my pc, it acts like a shut down and then start.

i am happy with that 3.4ghz, but afraid of if increasing the BCLK so much can cause any damage to my ram and SSD.

I also tried following -

BCLK: 160
CPU ratio : turbo (20)
Speed: 3.2 ghz

But in this case the performance is a bit lower than the previous.

So keeping BCLK to 200 is my choice.

But i need your suggestion regarding the lifetime of RAM, SSD. Will i choose setting no. 1 or 2 or won't overclock at all ??
BCLK wont effect your SSDs. The RAM will be effected but a slight overclock to it wont matter all that much. Just make sure that the PCIE Frequency is fixed at 100MHz.
I have my older system (See sig for "Gramps") running the DDR3-1333 at DDR3-1680. All it took was a bit more RAM voltage to keep it stable. You're really limited by temperature and voltage (Voltage only if you care for the chip's life). You can also underclock the RAM at a speed penalty so you could give 167 BCLK with 20 Ratio with the RAM set to run at DDR3-1333 and it wont mind. You could try leaving it alone and have the RAM run at DDR3-1670 (slightly overclocked) but keep in mind you will want to make sure the RAM is stable at that speed.

Feb 25, 2019
Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried according to your suggestion with BCLK - 167 and RAM 1333 and it worked perfectly without any voltage or ram timing tweaking.

Though i just gone a bit higher with BCLK - 180, cpu ration - 20, CPU voltage - 1.3v , VTT - 1.23v and ram voltage - auto.. with 10-10-10-30 , RAM - 1440 mhz.
and it seems quite well.

Reactions: compprob237

TRENDING THREADS