Overdrive: US Team Ironmods Wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
So what's the final clock speed? You have only posted a "Clock Speeds Reached after Less Than 5 Hours" a few pages back. I assume the team managed to squeeze more performance.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Of course the American team wins, it was an american contest, based in america, and americans have one hell of an ego, and since their country is failing the only thing they have is little contests that may or may not have been rigged for the americans.

Anywho, GJ, and neat

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if they used some kind of fancy cooling set up then this is really not that great. how many people can really afford to cool their systems for every day use? not many. we need to see more test done an system that people can afford

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
if they used some kind of fancy cooling set up then this is really not that great. how many people can really afford to cool their systems for every day use? not many. we need to see more test done an system that people can afford

This was not the "who can get the most stable overclock using only air cooling and make the CPU last 500 years of 'regular use' contest"... This was a "who could overclock the most using "fancy cooling' with it being just barley stable enough to post the fastest scores before their CPU melted down "OVERDRIVE" contest"..

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]This was not the "who can get the most stable overclock using only air cooling and make the CPU last 500 years of 'regular use' contest"... This was a "who could overclock the most using "fancy cooling' with it being just barley stable enough to post the fastest scores before their CPU melted down "OVERDRIVE" contest"..[/citation]
so what's the point? if someone wants to know the potential of a certain cpu it would be much easier to just call the company that made it and ask them. i am sure that intel and amd perform such tests in their labs. at least you think that they would. oh well, such a waste.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
so what's the point? if someone wants to know the potential of a certain cpu it would be much easier to just call the company that made it and ask them. i am sure that intel and amd perform such tests in their labs. at least you think that they would. oh well, such a waste.

This competition was not to determine "the potential of a certain cpu", the purpose of this competition is to see which overclocking team is better than the other. Stop being such a pantywaste.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]This competition was not to determine "the potential of a certain cpu", the purpose of this competition is to see which overclocking team is better than the other. Stop being such a pantywaste.[/citation]
i say again: what does this prove?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Thats why this only proves they are the best overclockers in this competition on that day.. If they did it the next day, or chose different hardware, who knows what would have happened. I compare it to professional poker. It takes a lot of skill to play the game competitively, but its a card game that in the end all boils down to chance.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]My point about the comparison to poker was simply that just because there is chance involved doesnt mean it still shouldnt be done.[/citation]
any of those teams could have won, it all depends on the hardware. as you know not all processors, memory, or chipsets perform the same. it just happened that they had better performing hardware.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Not to change the subject… but blackened144 I think you are wrong about poker, it does not boil down to chance…. I will bet my life that if you play a champion poker player 10 nights in a row you might win 2 nights of the 10 (assuming you are an amateur player). No question luck is a factor; however in poker the best hand does not always win. At the end of the day you do need at least a few good hands to win, but you certainly don’t need pocket aces all night long. Poker = skill, and a little luck helps.

This OC tournament is won by the hardware. Not to take anything away from anyone who participated, there all top notch im sure. Im certain all teams used the same tricks/techniques, one team had the best hardware that day.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Not to change the subject… but blackened144 I think you are wrong about poker, it does not boil down to chance…. I will bet my life that if you play a champion poker player 10 nights in a row you might win 2 nights of the 10 (assuming you are an amateur player). No question luck is a factor; however in poker the best hand does not always win. At the end of the day you do need at least a few good hands to win, but you certainly don’t need pocket aces all night long. Poker = skill, and a little luck helps.This OC tournament is won by the hardware. Not to take anything away from anyone who participated, there all top notch im sure. Im certain all teams used the same tricks/techniques, one team had the best hardware that day.[/citation]

AMEN :)

G

Guys our cpu wasnt that good in the contest. Most of the other guys were way faster than us by atleast 200-300MHZ. We just had what it took to get the win. our GPU clocks were pretty good as well which whelped us in all of the 3d runs.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Though I hate to burst the bubble of anyone so intent on being critical of competitive overclocking, these guys really do use different techniques and different strategies to set themselves apart from the competition. I’d recommend actually watching some of these guys in action before knocking what it is they do. It’s really fun stuff once you’re in the trenches, watching them try to maintain a temperature cold enough to sustain a certain clock speed but not so low as to cold bug out. Go Team Ironmods—was rooting for you guys all weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.