Overheating CPU, CPU Usage at 100% on startup??

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Ok, so I went on vacation, came back turned on my pc and about 3 minutes later it shut down. I wasnt sure what happened so I went into the BIOS on my next startup and gave me the error:
CPU is over temperature!
When I went onto my pc, everything was extremely laggy. I went to the task manager, It even took a while to load the GUI for the task manager. I went to look at the CPU Usage, it started off really low like 2%. It started quickly going up to 30%, then 60%, then around 85% to 98%. At around 98% it goes down a bit, then all the way up to 100%. Then proceeds to shutdown after like 1 more minute which I am almost positive is due to overheating.
I have since opened up my computer ( I use a liquid CPU cooler) cleaned out the dust from my fans and my liquid cooler radiator. My liquid cooler is custom brand but I believe it is really similar to the corsair h80i. I ordered Arctic SIlver 5 thermal compound for a replacement that hasnt come yet. Should I order a new liquid cooler? Could the CPU usage be due to the overheating or is it a virus of some sort? I havent downloaded anything I think could be a virus...
Thanks.

Solution
Before you change hardware i suggest you try the following.
1) Boot in Safe mode and check if the problem reoccurs. If no, then its one of your startup programs.
2) Remove and reseat the CPU (i think you've already tried that)
3) Yes viruses do have files and programs which maximize CPU usage. So an antivirus scan before boot (can try avast. Free.)
4) Check your PSU output. (If fan is slow or not working or if its not working correctly.)Check a different one if possible.
5) Disable all startup programs and reboot (msconfig>Run command if Win 7 and Task Manager > Startup if Win 8/8.1)
6) If none of these work then you can explore alternatives for your hardware.
Just boot into BIOS and go into that screen where it shows you the temp, BIOS doesn't lie, and watch it for a few minutes.

When u went liquid cooling, you knew there maybe additional maintenance required of this more complex cooling system right? Am betting you have a broken pump. Did you call your builder yet?

durgesh86

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Before you change hardware i suggest you try the following.
1) Boot in Safe mode and check if the problem reoccurs. If no, then its one of your startup programs.
2) Remove and reseat the CPU (i think you've already tried that)
3) Yes viruses do have files and programs which maximize CPU usage. So an antivirus scan before boot (can try avast. Free.)
4) Check your PSU output. (If fan is slow or not working or if its not working correctly.)Check a different one if possible.
5) Disable all startup programs and reboot (msconfig>Run command if Win 7 and Task Manager > Startup if Win 8/8.1)
6) If none of these work then you can explore alternatives for your hardware.

Solution

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

My pump that is covering the cpu feels warm to the touch, is that normal or should it be cool? Also how would i got about running a av scan before booting my computer? My computer shuts down quickly so there isnt time to download things, plus google chrome is super laggy due to 100% cp usage. Can overheating cause cpu usage? Also could it be my PSU causing cpu usage?

Saberus

Distinguished
Make sure you haven't had a leak in the cooling loop, the pump uses the coolant to cool itself as well, if you've had a leak and there's not enough (Or no) coolant left in the line, it will burn up and fail. If the CPU is heating up, it will downclock to try and reduce heat production, but without cooling it just can't clock low enough to stay cool.

The PSU can't cause CPU usage, but it can supply dirty power that can kill parts if it's a junk PSU.

Pump warm is normal. There is no way to tell whether the liquid is circulating? There is no thermometer at the reservoir tank? it should show warm liquid as it removes heat from the CPU.

Yes, it throttles down to deal with the heat, and that causes everything to slow down and more CPU cycles to deal with things.

No.

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
I have a non maintenance liquid cooler as the tubes that the coolant is in isn't accessible. Do you think I should order a new liquid cooler and see what happens?

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

I am not able to see if liquid is circulating, the temperature, and the liquid coolers tubes are black with zero transparency. I was having no issues before the over heating started so I believe the CPU Usage is being caused by this.

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

The BIOS is telling me that my CPU is overheating. Last time I checked the temps were around 177 degrees fahrenheit.

And no, unfortunately I do not have the old stock heatsink.

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

Just checked the tubing, the waterblock, and the radiator. I do not see any signs of leakage anywhere.

durgesh86

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

I dont think its to do with your cooler coz the temperatures are not high.
It has to be some program that uses the CPU (maybe virus or some other software setting.) Download avast (if cant in normal then download in safe mode)
Have you tried safe mode ? Does it work normally in Safe mode ?
Avast has an option to run a scan before boot.

EDIT: Sorry got confused with another answer.
Well the temps are high. So cant rule out the cooler.
However my suggestion still stands.

gadxyz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

Do you think im better off testing in safe mode first? Also what exactly should I do while in safe mode?

durgesh86

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Boot in safe mode and check if you face the same problem.
If No then consider it a software issue and i fey then a hardware problem.

JediJustin42069

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Your CPU could be down throttling, too bad you don't have enough time to download cpu-z to check your CPU frequency while in windows. I'm betting that your water cooler is no longer cycling so your CPU is being throttled down to prevent excess heat. When the CPU frequency is throttled down you will notice a huge hit in performance and things will run a lot slower due to the system "under clocking" your CPU due to the excess heat. I would try an alternate method of cooling to see if that is the issue. Most water coolers go from working perfect, to not working at all when they go bad. . . Happens out of no where.

TRENDING THREADS