[SOLVED] Overheating - Geforce GTX 970 arrives 95ºC

Ronaldo182

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
Hello everybody!!

I bought the PC below in 2015/March by my own:

MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-G45 GAMING
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (HX316C10FK2/8) = TOTAL 16GB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked GDDR5 Pcie Video Graphics Card, 4GB
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
Water Cooler Corsair h80i v2
Power Supply Seasonic 520w S12ii-520w 80 Plus Bronze
Case White Tiger PC Yes

About two weeks ago my PC was shutting down on its own sporadically. Apart from this symptom, it was OK. I took it to technical store and they said that the problem was at the power supply. So I bought a 750W Corsair CX750M to replace my Seasonic one. In addition, he cleaned the whole PC and replaced the CPU and GPU thermal pastes.

This issue has been resolved, but a new one just arrived. I realized it playing some games like Dota 2 and CS GO. My gpu was reaching 95ºC in a few seconds and going into thermal throttling, dropping a lot of FPS and providing a horrible gameplay. NOTE: The CPU temperature is ok, never exceed 63ºC.

I returned the PC to the repair store. They disassembled everything and replaced the thermal paste and the thermal pads of the video card one more time. Testing again gave us an improvement. Now the GPU temperature reaches a peak of 85ºC in games and 93ºC in Heaven Benchmark 4.0. It is possible to play but the temperature is still very high. In Dota 2, I changed the video settings to LOW to make a smotther gameplay.

About ventilation, my case its from a brazilian manufacture. It is very modest and cheap. It doesn't have much space, even so I managed to install some Corsair Fans ML120 PRO 120MM CO-9050043-WW:

• one on top
  • one on the case's base
  • two in the front
  • two in the back together with the water cooler

I would like to know what is possible to do to control this GPU temperature. Any tips?

1. Could the technical manager have done something wrong, like replacing the thermal pad in the wrong place or replacing a bad thermal paste? A better brand thermal paste would help?
  2. Buying a largest case would resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Solution
Download and install MSI afterburner and use it to set fan speeds on your card.
Or go deeper into the settings and setup the fan curve.
Make sure to adjust fan curve in bios for case fans to push enough air through as well.