Question Overheating issues

Nov 2, 2019
My build which I have been running since late 2016 has started to get heating issues. My temps in windows just browsing or being fairly idle are around 60c, this with all fans running at maximum setting. If i play a game or even do something that makes the processer hit around 20% load they average around 85c - 95c. Obviously this has made me quite worried.

I have tried cleaning off and replacing the thermal paste twice over the last month or so. I have only been using a pea size amount as recommended, this helps a little for about a day and the temps rise again. I tried changing the voltage from auto to 1.2 (as advised from another post I read) and that caused issues where I couldn't boot into windows (BSOD). I reverted this and the pc is working again although still with massive temps issues.

I am wondering whether the pump is the issue or there is something else wrong with my build.

My processor is unclocked and is:
Intel Core i7-6700K with a Corsair H115i Cooler on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX.

Any help would be really appreciated .

Full spec: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WkFpsJ

Yep could be the AIO. Have you checked what speed the pump is spinning at? You should be able to check this via HArdware Info or iCue. Also what case do you have and as usual make sure all the filters are clean and the fans are clear of dust...same goes for the radiator as that can fill up with dust fairly quickly...

Nov 2, 2019
I have a corsair 750d airflow edition case. I actually have just opened the case, cleaned out all the dust (there wasn't much there as I did this 3 months ago as well). Once again cleaned off the thermal paste and re-applied a pea size amount and the temps are still pretty bad, in fact worse. I have applied thermal paste before on many builds, so I am pretty sure it's not something I am doing. :/

Definitely seems to me like the cooler is screwed.

View: https://i.imgur.com/TNnVGvM.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/tHoKp0f.png

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Make sure your pump is actually running (listen to it) and take a can of compressed air and blast your radiator if you haven't done that. Ensure nothing is blocking the airflow through your radiator and there are no kinks or anything in the tubing. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about watercoolers, but it sounds like air somehow got inside your loop or your pump has died.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm going to assume you cleaned the radiator too, right?

What I see is coolant temp at 47°C, which is extremely hot for coolant. I see pump running flat out at 3k rpm+, and the fans at 1800 rpm+.

So there's either an issue with the fans ability to put air across the fins, coolant level, the paste, the paste application or the cpu is putting out massive amounts of heat far above normal for usage.

What paste and how old is it? Because paste application is helping, for a day....

Nov 2, 2019
I have cleaned the radiator, I'm going to do the compressed air to make sure as well. I'm using Arctic silver paste, it's approx 2 years old though. I will also try buy fresh ones too, I didn't realise it could go bad though if it that might be it. I'm also going to try a stock Intel cooler to help diagnose it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For the radiator, most important part is the area directly behind the fan blades when in push configuration. Doesn't take long to build up a 'dust donut'.

2 years? With any other paste, like thermal grizzly, Phanteks, Noctua, mx-4, gelic GC etc, 2 years is nothing, they'll last 8 years + on a cpu. But AS5 can and does dry out with heat, and the oil base can seperate, so it's possible it's gone bad just sitting.

Using the stock cooler, even with its pre-applied paste will only show one thing, whether the padte/cooler is bad, you'll still not know which. I'd hold off on that, just to prevent multiple cleanings, and start out with checking the rad first.

If cleaning doesn't solve temps, then worry about the paste, try it with the aio first, see if that fixes things. If not, then try the Intel cooler. Don't change any settings otherwise.

Reactions: vMax