Overheating melted 6pin

Dominic_21

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hi can someone help me.

Ive put this as motherboard but i know the fault.

My old setup

Fx-8350
Msi 970 gaming
Gtx 1060 3gb
500watts cant remember name
500gb hhd
16gb ram team vulcan 4x4 sticks

So i was playing some dayz hadn't been on for long i was coming to log off and turn pc off to where it suddenly it cut off,my screens wouldnt work or anything after opening pc up it looked like the 6 pin connector had melted to the 6 pin socket on the motherboard(DONT KNOW IF IT WAS THE PSU AT FAULT OR THE MOTHERBOARD)
threw these away bought a corsair 650w psu and a ASROCK 970M Pro as recommened on here to be fine for my set up,couple days of playing i started some pubg when suddenly i started to smell burning i turned off pc straight away doesn't look like any damage was done but this time couldn't fined where is was coming from why does this keep happening all of a sudden

Cheers

Solution
The Corsair vs650 has a Single 8pin eps and 2x 6+2pin pcie, so as long as that's a solid 8pin not the other 6+2pin,you are correct. Look at the connector, make very sure it's seated fully all the way in and all the pins are fully seated, not one stuck halfway out. The other possible option is that the motherboard tray behind the mobo is a little squashed and getting too close to the solder joints behind the mobo, which can happen if wiring is shoved in behind the right side panel. Since you've changed mobo's, and changed psu, the only remaining part that has anything to do with the EPS 12v is the cpu, and I have no idea why it would pull that much power through that many pins.

Lutfij

Titan
At this point we'll need to know the model of the old PSU as well as it's age? FYI, there is no 6 pin connector on the board
msi_970_gaming_overhead-600x497.jpg

only an 8pin EPS connector and a 24pin main connector, unless you're referring to another board's make and model.

What is the model of your Corsair PSU?

Dominic_21

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hi all thanks so far,

Dont know if this help i recently installed a scandisk 480gb ssd now if you go to task manager,and look at process its stuck at 50% but if you look performance it says its at 100%coukd this.be making my pc overheat somehow

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The socket referred to is the EPS and is usually a 4+4pin connector on the psu. It will also be labeled EPS, do not confuse this with the PCIE 8pin. That socket is a direct 12v auxiliary feed for the cpu and a couple other things, usually sees little use unless you are overclocking or really pushing the usage limits of the cpu. 8pin sockets usually add upto 150-ish watts, so to burn them up takes either a really bad connection or a massive power draw.

With new motherboards, the mains/eps can be quite difficult to get seated fully, which they must be, or risk a bad pin connection which will heat up like a sparkplug.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Corsair vs650 has a Single 8pin eps and 2x 6+2pin pcie, so as long as that's a solid 8pin not the other 6+2pin,you are correct. Look at the connector, make very sure it's seated fully all the way in and all the pins are fully seated, not one stuck halfway out. The other possible option is that the motherboard tray behind the mobo is a little squashed and getting too close to the solder joints behind the mobo, which can happen if wiring is shoved in behind the right side panel. Since you've changed mobo's, and changed psu, the only remaining part that has anything to do with the EPS 12v is the cpu, and I have no idea why it would pull that much power through that many pins.

Solution