Overheating or what?..PC shutting down randomly

Apollonas

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
My gaming pc started acting weirdly..Recently it started shutting down randomly .. I realized that it was due to my cpu overheating as temperatures were rising to 70 - 80 degrees celcius and at times 90 -100 ... I checked everything, reapplied thermal paste, and only then realized that one of the pins of the stock intel cooler was kinda broken...So the cpu cooler couldn't be held into place 100% effectively , tightly.. I knew it was time to buy a new cpu cooler , but until I buy a new one , I underclocked it from 3.5 ghz to 1.8 ghz ( now 2.0 ghz ) .. This made temperatures fall from 50-70 idle to 35-45 idle..and 60 at max...But , now playing Dota 2 and previously CS GO..it started shutting down again..I have checked many websites but still can't find the answer..I checked whether the fan of the psu works..it does..I touched it and it was not hot..Gpu at a temp of 30 degrees..same with motherboard..HDD 30 as well...Everything seems to be working correctly except that shutdown issue..it seems to me that it is not a heat related issue...The only thing I still havent checked are the rams..I reseated them,they work perfectly so I don't know if that is the issue.
My system
i5 4690k
gtx 950 from msi twin frozr
msi b85-g43 mobo
4x2 gb ram hyper x fury * blue *
coolermaster accab-1....an so on ..600 watt psu
seagate barracude 500 gb hdd
great airflow in the case * 5 cooler *

Apollonas

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

My bad here, it didn't break but it slightly bent to the left or to the right ( don't remember ) and so it was kinda difficult to lock it in.
I don't think anything else was damaged..It seems that everything is in perfect condition

A bent pin on the stock cooler doesn't happen often. Whatever could have damaged that could have also damaged either the CPU itself or bent some pins on the socket. You should examine both thoroughly.

Also, subjecting a CPU to those temperatures for extended periods can damage them quite easily. If this computer has had a damaged cooler for it's entire life, it could very well be on the way out.

Apollonas

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

I was checking the temperatures ,almost since the beginning of its "life" .. The temperatures were nice , but not long ago while I tried to reseat the cooler , I bent the pin a little bit , but the cpu seems to be in a perfect condition ..