Question Overheating Video Card

Feb 24, 2023
Good Evening!

First time poster here.

I have 2 computers and each computer has the exact same video card: EVGA 980 TI Hybird 6GB (liquid cooled). Same model #, bought them on same day, installed into their computers on same day. I bought them in like December 2015.

I use this main computer to game and work and my spare computer for watching movies and stuff.

About 2 weeks ago, this main computer started having the video card overheat up to 94 celcius and white flickering lines were appearing on both monitors.

So, I went to my spare computer, which has been working fine forever, and I removed that 980 TI and put it in this main gaming computer.

Well, my spare 980 TI gave me the EXACT same issues on this main computer, even though my spare 980 TI was working flawlessly just hours before in the spare computer.

So I am led to believe that there is some component in my main gaming computer that is causing only my video cards to overheat and have problems, but they don't overheat and have problems in my spare computer.

Is it possible that my PSU: Seasonic Prime 1000W 80+ Platinum is dying and somehow causing ONLY my video cards to overheat? My CPU, solidstate harddrives, RAM, MOBO... nothing else overheats, just my video cards.

I don't have the knowledge or patience to dismantle both video cards and reapply thermal paste. I also don't think that's the issue anyways, since both cards only overheat in this main computer and not my spare one.

Thank you!

Feb 24, 2023
in my spare computer where both vid cards work flawlessly, I have a PSU: EVGA 80 Plus Gold 1300W. Could I take that PSU and put it into this main gaming computer and see if the video cards still have issues? I don't know enough about computers to know if I can safely put that 1300W into this computer.

ty!

Feb 24, 2023
hi Drivin, ty for your reply!

both video cards work perfectly in my spare computer. both videocards overheat in my main gaming computer.

this is why i feel the video cards are fine, but some component in my gaming computer is causing them to overheat.

im posting from my phone. both computers currently unhooked and im swapping the power supplies so i can see if my power supply in my gaming comp is whats causing my vid cards to overheat.

Feb 24, 2023
so i've successfully swapped power supplies and I still have the same issue with vid card overheating....

if my vid card isn't dying and my power supply isn't dying....

what in the world could cause both video cards to go to hell in this computer but be perfectly fine in my spare computer?

I'm so looooost

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would probably try a bootable OS of some sort to see if it is a software issue. You might have contracted a mining bot, a good anti-malware / anti-virus check is a good idea.

Could be a motherboard problem with the 3.3 volts supplied through the PCIe slot. What is the 3.3 volts reading on the system? CPU is also directly connected to the GPU via PCIe, so you could check the CPU (swap them if they are similar)

Also, what is airflow like in the main PC? Even though they worked ok before those are older cards and higher end which probably generated a lot of heat. If you don't have much in the way of case fans in there, they may not be getting enough fresh air. Also, have you taken some compressed air to try to airdust the heatsinks on the cards in case they are dusty?