[SOLVED] overly high clock speed

Oct 20, 2019
I have an i7 9700k that seems to be using hitting speeds way too high while doing nothing. At this very moment, it's at about 10% CPU usage but according to CPUID HWMonitor, the clock speed is at 4600MHz across all cores. I had posted before that this was occurring but I hadn't set up Windows 10 properly. I've done a clean Windows 10 install now and my CPU is still averaging at 4600MHz. It fluctuates of course and drops too much slower speeds but it primarily sits at high speeds, much greater than the 3600.

I don't know what's normal and what's not. Is this a problem and if so, any clue how I might fix this?

Extra info because I know nothing about CPUs:
On CPUID the min is 800 MHz and the max is 4700MHz which is 200MHz less than what intel says it can boost to.
I have not overclocked it yet, I haven't even checked the bios yet.
I have installed all the drivers from my motherboard using the disk that came with it. Intel driver support says all my intel software is up to date.

Solution
After further research, see chart below for the stock turbo multipliers.
9thGenTurbos2_575px.png

It would appear that at 4.6GHz, your CPU is behaving normally. Desktop CPUs generally don't operate at their advertised "base" clocks.
Here's some literature on that.

If there's ANY load (including background processes), the CPU is going to clock up to 4.6GHz-4.9GHz. It will stay there until there's no work left to be done.
9thGenTurbos2_575px.png

It would appear that at 4.6GHz, your CPU is behaving normally. Desktop CPUs generally don't operate at their advertised "base" clocks.

If there's ANY load (including background processes), the CPU is going to clock up to 4.6GHz-4.9GHz. It will stay there until there's no work left to be done.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 20, 2019
9thGenTurbos2_575px.png

I read the article. I somewhat understand. Assuming I don’t have a power supply problem and my cpu temps are fine, is there a downside to allowing MCE? I just wonder if that can degrade the longevity of a cpu much like how overclocking can damage it.

Pretty sure the voltage is set for a given frequency, so the chip probably wouldn't get any more voltage for all 8 cores @ 4.9GHz than it would with 1 core at 4.9GHz. You'll get extra heat to dissipate, but I don't foresee any longevity concerns. You may also be able to test a slight undervolt (negative voltage offset) to reduce power/heat.

Oct 20, 2019
Pretty sure the voltage is set for a given frequency, so the chip probably wouldn't get any more voltage for all 8 cores @ 4.9GHz than it would with 1 core at 4.9GHz. You'll get extra heat to dissipate, but I don't foresee any longevity concerns. You may also be able to test a slight undervolt (negative voltage offset) to reduce power/heat.
Alright then I'll just leave it as is since electrical consumption and temps are not a problem

Oct 20, 2019
To be clear, I said (after further research) that your motherboard currently does not have MCE enabled. Otherwise it would be running at 4.9GHz. It's running bone stock.
I read something else that said 4.9GHz turbo boost is just for a single core. From everything else I've read the increased speeds seem normal