[SOLVED] Overpowering my PSU

Mar 24, 2020
So I have a RTX 2060 and a i7 9700 but i have a 450W power supply. I was wondering if i launch a intensive game like CoD: Warzone what will happen if my gpu and cpu overpower my PSU and is 450W even enough?

Solution
He has a
Integra M 550W
Would just stick with that XFX if so, it's not that bad and should have enough power for the parts used. Just save up some money for something better if you are going to upgrade.

If you get into problems do look at the psu and upgrade to something good quality.

Wolfshadw

Titan
RTX 2060 has a 500 watt Power Supply Recommendation. This typically means you could run it on only 450 watts, but depending on the power supply, it may not actually provided enough power due to age and depreciation.

What could happen?
  1. Your system locks up and reboots mid-game.
  2. Your power supply fails and you're unable to boot up your system at all.
  3. Your power supply fails spectacularly and not only does your system not boot up, but your motherboard, CPU, and new graphics card are all fried.

-Wolf sends

Mar 24, 2020
Honestly I can't remember I got it like 2-3 years ago. The only thing i know is that its 450W. I tried checking but its put in my case in a way that I can't see the brand.

Mar 24, 2020
That's a no bueno. Don't do it, chances are it's not good if it doesn't even brag about its own identity.

It can shut down and reboot if its protection system is good. If it isn't, well, prepare for a firework show.
But it might have the brand on top but I can't see it because my power supply is on top of my case.

This one? It has only 408W on 12W rail.
Since minimum recommendation for RTX 2060 is 500W, you should replace it.

15199938871971_b.jpg

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you think anything will happen like that if I launch CoD Warzone (maybe you know from experience)?

Consider how much you paid for your video card, motherboard, etc....

Are you willing to take the gamble that those components suffer some kind of damage? Whether killing them outright, or doing some more subtle damage that might make them unstable, and leave you chasing odd bugs here and there?

Don't take that chance.

And, click on the first link in my sig.

Reactions: Archaic59
Mar 24, 2020
Slim to none, but it's always a possibility (even with the best power supply). More than likely, if anything happens, it will just shut down and (maybe) restart your system.

-Wolf sends

So I just read the specs on my power supply and it says this: Solid capacitors, overvoltage protection, overpower protection, undervoltage protection, short-circuit protection. Does this mean if I overpower my PSU it will just normally shut down and open like nothing happened?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Congrats! You found the advertising! Whether or not you want to believe it is STILL up to you.

As I said, even with the best power supplies a catastrophic failure is possible. A questionable power supply (such as yours) is slightly more likely to fail spectacularly. For the last time, I recommend changing the unit. Whether or not you take that recommendation is entirely up to you.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: King_V
TS 450 isn't a questionable unit. It's made by Seasonic and isn't likely to burst in flames. But, it's going to barely run something like an RTX 2060. Sure, you can run it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Plus, it's also likely built upon an old, group regulated S12II platform that doesn't support Haswell idle states, it's also about time to upgrade.

Oh also, sorry about my silly assumptions on the last post.