Question Overvolted i3

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Hey guys. I used to have a 4th gen i3 that would constantly overheat and had idle temps of 38°...

I got it checked and the repairman told me that it was because of bad thermal paste and weak heat sink.

Is this true? Or could a bad PSU cause it? But then again, wouldn't a bad PSU also fry my other components if that would be the case?

Note: NEVER overclocked during its lifespan. I used it for 2-3 years I think before I upgraded my system...

Which heatsink?
Thermal paste usually lasts for around 5 years tho, they are made to bond between heatsink and CPU.
Im using stock copper slim heatsink from Intel, which were used by G3220, i3-4170 and Xeon aka i5-4570.

Download Hwinfo and run it into sensor mode, there should be saying Vcore, i think i've ran my I3 at 1.05V.

Untitled.jpg

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Which heatsink?
Thermal paste usually lasts for around 5 years tho, they are made to bond between heatsink and CPU.
Im using stock copper slim heatsink from Intel, which were used by G3220, i3-4170 and Xeon aka i5-4570.

Download Hwinfo and run it into sensor mode, there should be saying Vcore, i think i've ran my I3 at 1.05V.

Untitled.jpg
The stock fan's heatsink I guess. I didn't really understand the repairman, but I think I got the jist.
Any chance a bad PSU would've overvolted it? But then again, a faulty PSU should take out the Mobo and RAM first before the CPU right?