Overwatch @144hz, with minimal upgrades.

Oct 10, 2018
My goal here is to eventually play Overwatch @144hz. But will my system support stable 144+ fps ?

So my next buy will be a new monitor and whatever you guys suggest. I d like to upgrade step by step, the absolute necessary parts first ending up with a whole new build in 2-3 months.

MB: Asrock 9600gm/us3s3
CPU: Amd FX-4300 - CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo (new)
RAM: 2x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1600MHz Dual Channel
GPU: Evga gtx 750 ti Ftw Acx
PSU: Corsair CX450M
ST: Samsung 860 Evo SSD , WD Caviar Blue 640GB
Case: CM Q300L - 2x Aerocool Shark Fans intake - 2x Aerocool Fans exhaust

My CPU used to run at 100% usage and GPU around 80% with FPS capped @60.
After OCing my FX @4.3ghz 1.35v, CPU usage dropped to 80-85% and uncapped the ingame FPS yielding 75-80 average fps (min 58, once or twice during 20min sessions).

Here is a ss of MSI Afterburner log, cpu running @4.2ghz (some headroom for absolute stability when playing competitive).

https://i.gyazo.com/2842da2c841318e1129631be7b02da8c.png

Thinking of buying a mildly used gtx 980 or 1060 6gb along with my monitor and OCing my FX furthermore. 120+ stable fps would make me happy at this point. Later upgrades are going to be new MB, CPU and Memmory.
Thoughts?

Solution
You're going to need a new mobo, CPU, GPU, and RAM unfortunately if you want to hold 120+ FPS at 1080p and there's nothing you can do to cheat your way to 120fps on that processor, unfortunately.

I would get a setup like this if you can afford it, it's pretty much as cheap as you're gonna get if you want that high of FPS

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BwhcRJ

Oct 10, 2018
thank you for the answer and the partlist! Those are exactly the parts I was thinking of buying. But Dual Channel RAM compliments Ryzen a lot.
Would it be a big issue buying single 8 gb module and add a second one later? People say dual kits perform better.

It depends on whether you get a board with 2 memory slots or 4. I would suggest just buying 16GB anyways, but if you can't afford 16 then I would get a 2x4 kit on a 4 slot mobo and a 1x8 kit on a 2 slot, because you will want to buy 8gb more RAM at some point and won't want to have to get rid of the old memory. People like to overestimate how much of a difference there is between single and dual channel memory, it will make a bigger difference on something like a 2400G with integrated graphics that uses system RAM, but on the other CPUs the difference is pretty negligible.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

High fps will be limited by CPU if all the graphics settings are set down low to allow high fps though.

At low settings/resolution, overwatch FPS will be a lot more reliant on CPU than GPU.

If a stock clocked 2600 is capable of constant 144fps on overwatch, then it would be fine but its not a use case I would be suggesting Ryzen for.

In fact, the game is so CPU light that you should probably see if you're content with the performance on the FX 4300 before upgrading, the FX 8370 can apparently hold an average of 170fps with a GTX 1080 ti, so there's a small chance you could still be GPU bound even with that weak of a processor.

Yeah I think if he ONLY plays overwatch then the 2600 is a great purchase, but just so you know OP, it will have a lower FPS average than a comparably priced Intel processor in every other esports title that I can think of (CSGO, Dota 2, LoL...). Just down to whether it's worth it for you. And when I mean "lower," I don't mean "unplayable," it's the difference between 250 and 325fps average in CSGO for example.

Oct 10, 2018

Thank you both for your time helping me. I didn't find a similarly priced Intel CPU performing close to Ryzen even checked benchmarks. The difference is not that big. But that's a decision I ll have to make later.

What you said right here was my initial thought. Maybe I can save some money, get a decent GPU and try to squeeze some more fps. How about another FX to fit my mobo? Could that work? Yeah I know value-wise is not that great but I won't have to upgrade my whole system for the moment. I only want 144 fps for OW and some other not 2k18 AAA games @1080p for which 60 fps would be enough.

I wouldn't buy another FX processor, just see how your current setup works and save up money for modern hardware would be my suggestion.

EDIT: Also your motherboard probably won't support a decent 8 core, it's only rated for 95W processors and the FX 8350 is 125W. If you can find a SUPER cheap 8320E then maybe it could possibly be worth it, but I wouldn't bother tbh.

Well on newegg right now the RX 570 8GB is almost $100 cheaper than the card you have selected now, might be worth it to take the 10% or so performance hit depending on how you feel. Also you'll want to make sure that the RAM you're buying is on your motherboard's QVL list.

EDIT: NVM didn't read properly. Still make sure the RAM is compatible though

Oct 10, 2018
No access to newegg anyway but the deal I got was great!

Yep this ram is on MSI B350M QVL. Supported speed 2933 @1.35v.

Later on I might add one more 8gb stick if needed.

EDIT: I could get MSI B450M for just 10€ more. Should I? I guess that it's backwards compatible with 1st gen Ryzen and offers future proof?