Overwolf to Make PC Games Playable on Win 8 Atom Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

demosthenes81

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I wonder if Fear Factory and M.C. hammer got paid for their music in that ad. Other than that it seems interesting but I hate touchscreen gaming (G.T.A. III on my moto xoom for example) but if they make it universally friendly it will work for some people id love to play SWTOR on the jon.

G

I have come out of this gesture based and overlay interface idea a year back. Wish I have patented that idea and now I can sue... Haha.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Sorry, but "gaming" and "Atom" shouldn't be in the same sentence together. What they were showing was likely the Samsung Core i5 tablets used for the Windows 8 Developer Preview. Unless they start developing their own cloud gaming service, I'll hold out for AMD's tablet chips with superior graphics, thank you very much!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Adding usable controls still doesn't make 90% of games playable on an atom. If your computer sucks to start with, adding thumb controls won't make it magically run 60 fps.

I have a much easier solution for anyone interested in tablet gaming. WIDI + Wii controller / mouse.

G

I'm pretty sure anyone who is heavy enough into gaming that they need a mobile solution for playing an MMO already has a gaming laptop. If that's not the case and you really want to start using a mobile solution for playing an MMO.... Get a gaming laptop. ;)

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Well, hopefully their solution will work with future hardware with better specs, and hopefully Alienware will start making tablets soon. Either way, most windows tablets have usb outs or bluetooth don't they? They should make a detachable keyboard and mouse.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
You can make a UI for anything! WASD movements can be moved to the gyro, but something needs to be done so that one hand is free at all times for touchscreen interface. Also Kinect style movement recognition would be great if you could get your face to interact with a cursor on the screen.

Realistically, I don't see MMO's and FPS games playable without peripherals, however RTS games are a different story.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]If they can get x86 games to run, they can get x86 productivity software to run, right? some Matlab, visual studio, Mshaft Word, ..[/citation]

You realize that Intel Atom is an x86 platform, right? Also, this is not a "virtual Windows 7 desktop". Windows 8 has a Windows 8 Desktop outside of Metro... You've used Windows 8, right Tom's? Because saying this is a virtual Windows 7 desktop is just blatantly wrong.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I'd rather just stream a game from a game pc using remote desktop to a android phone or tablet instead and be able to use any current gen console input device or mouse and keyboard bluetooth or usb wireless which can connect via HDMI at 1080P to a hdtv.

I'm sorry, but Atom doesn't have the graphics power or cpu power to run most modern games on a quality settings, but you can stream a game like Skyrim to a android tablet no problem. Still AMD's portable devices provide the best on the go experience if you need to game on the go.

Now if you just want something for at home and leisure purposes the android thing works perfectly well if not better then a comparable low end AMD or Intel solution would provided you all ready have a game PC in your household and just want to be able to stream it to your tablet or hdtv while entertaining guests or around the house in general.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Well, by looking at the texture and the resolution of the game, it looks like that they just dump the texture and resolution of the game to the degree that will be playable on an ATOM tablet. Just like what they did with the console games. Hopefully this will not be the trend that game developers will use to save money on texture/effect development and make every game tablet like...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.