[SOLVED] Overwritten Admin User account in Macbook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

hub292929

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Good day,i would like to ask if i will ever recover again my old admin account because i create another admin user then after i restart my computer i cannot access my old account even i check in my user setting i cannot see the old user. The problem is all of my files are in the old user admin and i cannot see any files in my old admin account. Then i try to create the old admin name the the error is filename exist.
Maybe you can help me beacause out of my 120GB hardisk space 20GB are remaining because i cannot access my old admin account. Thanks

Solution
If you can't find the Administrator Account then one of two things has happened: 1. The user was removed, but the home folder was kept. 2. Something has gone wrong with the user data on your system.

If you can see the home folder in Finder, then it is the first thing. Simply copy over the files you want, delete the un-used home folder and re-create the account if you want.

If you can't see the home folder in Finder, then it is the second thing. In the Terminal enter this command "cd /Users/JohnAppleseed" where JohnAppleseed is the name of your old administrator account. If the Terminal switched to that folder (easily seen by the change in the name of the window) then you can copy the contents out with "mkdir ~/Desktop/OldFiles && cp...

STFLightning

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
If you can't find the Administrator Account then one of two things has happened: 1. The user was removed, but the home folder was kept. 2. Something has gone wrong with the user data on your system.

If you can see the home folder in Finder, then it is the first thing. Simply copy over the files you want, delete the un-used home folder and re-create the account if you want.

If you can't see the home folder in Finder, then it is the second thing. In the Terminal enter this command "cd /Users/JohnAppleseed" where JohnAppleseed is the name of your old administrator account. If the Terminal switched to that folder (easily seen by the change in the name of the window) then you can copy the contents out with "mkdir ~/Desktop/OldFiles && cp ./* ~/Desktop/OldFiles/".

If terminal can't access the files it means they are either corrupted or not there at all and the User Account system has been messed up. Try using Disk Utility to Verify Disk, there may be problems with your main hard drive. If Disk Utility finds problems it will most likely ask you to reboot into Recovery Mode (CMD + R before Apple bong at startup), select Disk Utility, Verify Disk then Repair Disk.

If nothing here works then reply telling me what happened when the above steps didn't work and I'll try and help find a solution.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.