OWC Introduces Fast, Cheap 275MB/s SSD for $68

Status
Not open for further replies.

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]'"RAID-like" reliability.' Either it's got 60 GB of space and is storing two copies of everything you write for a RAID 1, or this is ignorant market-speak. Or the RAID that they mean is RAID 0.[/citation]

Nah, they would be using something more similar to RAID-5.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
For an SSD i am waiting to get one thats at least 120GB as i want to install windows, and my most used game on it and with a 120 i would be able to do that comfortably

mr_nuke_me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]too small size to be a boot drive w7 64bit.[/citation]

Huh? I can comfortably fit Fedora x64 and all the programs I use on 30GB.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]secolliyn[/nom]For an SSD i am waiting to get one thats at least 120GB as i want to install windows, and my most used game on it and with a 120 i would be able to do that comfortably[/citation]

I really need a 500GB SSD to replace my 500GB boot drive.
But at this prices....I pass.

I think that it might be 5 years down the road before I make the switch.
I just won't pay an arm an a leg for an SSD.

halcyon

Splendid
...and you don't need to pay an arm and a leg for an SSD either. I not only have 2xVertex 2's in RAID 0 in my Mac desktop, but I have a Vertex 3 in one of my MacBook Pros. In my 2nd laptop I have a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB. Yeah, its in a MacBook Pro but that drive is plenty fast. Full blown SSD not needed...and there's plenty of space.

I think more people should try these hybrid drives, I'm thoroughly impressed.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]'"RAID-like" reliability.' Either it's got 60 GB of space and is storing two copies of everything you write for a RAID 1, or this is ignorant market-speak. Or the RAID that they mean is RAID 0.[/citation]
Reliability of 10 Raid 0 drives. Har Har.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I thought all current SSD's implemented features for RAID like reliability (e.g. strong ECC, wear leveling, etc.) and performance (e.g. reading from multiple chips simultaneously). If they're willing to build and brand this as an enterprise SSD, then it's a good price (amazing if it's SLC), but otherwise I don't see a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.