OWC Ships SSDs with SandForce SF-1232

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
what is the expected life for these things. Hate to spend all that money knowing ssd's die a slow death. Is this still the case?

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yes they are expensive - but so were BD Burners, DVD Burners, CD Burners, HDD, and so on and so forth when they first came out. The question is do you need the kind of performance these would give?

The more I read, the more I find that HD video editing benefits from source disks that can maintain their throughput speeds. Hard disks drop in performance while SSDs sustain their speeds. That is one scenario where these would benefit (and if you are willing to drop $3k to $150+k on a camera, what is a few thousand for some source drives).

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I've got a pair of the orange 60gb (don't remember the model) OCZ SSDs in RAID 0 and they've been running pretty much non-stop in my main computer for a couple of years now, and they are still running fast. I leave BOINC running 24/7 in the winter (keeps the house warm) so they've seen some use.

After 3 years I generally start looking for HD replacements and sell off my old stuff. I don't see them dying before then. I will most definitely be replacing them with updated drives (larger/faster) as I'd probably want to kill myself if I went back to slow and loud 10k spinners.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
What's the difference from the SF-1200 to the SF-1232? Anyone know? Their existing 1200-based drives had the same transfer speeds and capacities but started at $199 (now $5 less).

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]what is the expected life for these things. Hate to spend all that money knowing ssd's die a slow death. Is this still the case?[/citation]

They don't really die like they used to, now we have TRIM and garbage collection which keeps the SSD at peak performance (or close) for as long as possible, with this, SSD's can now last for 20-100 years unless something stupid happens..

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I know I want one of this for OS and apps, but I need at least 80-100 mb and I am waiting for prices to go down a bit more. 3D is not to demanding for HD speeds, but overall it will be nice. For video editing after render I will need another drive.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Yes they are expensive - but so were BD Burners, DVD Burners, CD Burners, HDD, and so on and so forth when they first came out. [/citation]

The problem is the ssd has been out for 10 years now and are just now becoming affordable... do you really want to wait another 10 years for them to be standard and/or cheap?

[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]I know I want one of this for OS and apps, but I need at least 80-100 mb[/citation]
Wow, you only need that much space? You must be running puppy linux or something! I'm happy to tell you that for $100 you can buy SSDs with 320X that capacity :p

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I think Tom's is getting paid to do this article. There's absolutely nothing special about it and I swear I never heard of OWC before. Publicity article?

G

I have two of the (200 GiB) Mercury Extreme RE SSDs in RAID-0 in my MacBook Pro. I've been beating the heck out of them for more than 2 months (including a full Fill Disk Volume command twice) and I can say that they have not suffered any performance degradation whatsoever — much unlike my experience with Intel X-25, Corsair P256, and OCZ Vertex drives that were fast when new, but became dog slow after just a few weeks. I get about 460 MB/s writes and 420 MB/s reads in real world usage.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I believe Anandtech has mentioned OWC in their SSD articles. I thought they mentioned that OWC does some OEM/replacement work for Apple mainly. Their SandForce SSDs are just like everyone else's. And no, there's no RAID TRIM support.

Status
Not open for further replies.