Question owned asrock mobo dies after 2 years, manufacturer warranty has 3 years? coverage?

virus9028

Honorable
Jun 28, 2018
hi i never overclocked my motherboard, ive owned it for 2 years. the warranty sais it covers 3 years. would asrock replace my board when they find theres been no tampering and its more a malfunction... everything was great only had game crashes when i dont update gpu drivers ... my computer zapped me when i pressed the power button at first i thouht it was the psu but turns out its the mobo. my local in town pc tech said to see what answers i can dig up for warranty. hes helping me fix it, i never overclocked at all never not once, im new what does warranty mean,

im so sad i blew all my cash at this pc

all in all , (all other parts are okay) but would asrock be able to give me the same motherboard or equal to it

asrock b250 gaming k4 motherboard specs and warranty details
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157748?item=N82E16813157748

virus9028

Honorable
Jun 28, 2018
hi thanks for the response i bought this mobo early 2017 from newegg... where can i find the serial #? i threw out the box but i can find another from my pc tech if i need to ship it back

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'm in the US, purchased the exact same MB & ASRock repaired mine, although had to pay for shipping to them, plus $50 for bent pin repair.

The problem was, Newegg would had exchanged the MB, I had yet to check it (a lesson learned), was buying components to build a PC as funds & promos to include rebates were available. So within extended holiday exchange/refund period at Newegg, had everything to start a build, just has to get some extras.

However, because I filed for the rebate, Newegg denied the exchange, although they agreed with me that the box may had been open, as one of the SATA cables & M.2 screw were missing. So after a lot of back & forth emails, I contacted the BBB for that area, they got involved & Newegg gave me $75 to settle the case.

Which was enough to cover the postage & the $50 mentioned above for bent pins, by then, had the MB for over a year (the next holiday season had passed). So I can't blame it all on Newegg, I should had checked the MB before sending a rebate in & have since always do.

As for ASRock, they'll honor their 3 year warranty, as long as the serial number on a yellow sticker which you have to provide beforehand is still there. And there's no bent pins, if so, they'll charge $50 & if you refuse to pay it'll be returned the way it was received.

I've been using the PC with that MB as my main one since it arrived & I built, has ran like a champ. So they evidently do a great job of refurbishing these, although with bent pins, one doesn't get the original MB back, they send it back to Asia & send the customer another. As long as there's no bent pins or other damage that's abnormal, ASRock will still honor the remainder of the 3 year warranty. Otherwise, one that has bent pins or other issues not caused by manufacturer defects will receive a 90 day warranty & the rest of the 3 years are gone.

Turnaround time is generally fast, I received mine around two weeks after I dropped the bad at USPS, a faster experience than I had with both ASUS & MSI (both of these weren't my hardware, rather work being done for others). Kudos for ASRock in getting the product back to me fast. Be sure to NOT include any cables, the I/O plate or anything other than the motherboard (except plastic cap covering the CPU socket), otherwise won't be returned. It's recommended to use the box it came in, or a MB box of the same size if wanting to keep the original, as they flip over any old box on hand to ship to customers. Mine came in a 990-FX box, I called to see if they had spares to sell & was told no, that their stock was for RMA's only. Of course, as long as the MB is protected, you can use any available box it'll fit in. Just remember, the larger the box, the more shipping charges will be. It may be best to use one of the boxes provided by USPS it'll fit into, as the price is included in postage & will get to ASRock RMA center fast.

As captaincharisma stated above, make sure to have all documentation required. While this will also be needed for filing for the RMA, be sure to include, per their instruction, everything asked for. This will require the original receipt, plus being sure to have the RMA # on the exterior of shipping box in 2-3 places (I made 3 copies of the number & taped on every side). One misstep will mean having to do a RMA twice, as they'll return the box as received w/out all instruction followed. If in doubt, call and ask. The RMA email will plainly state what to do, including where to ship the MB. Be sure to insure the package for it's worth, I told the post office clerk $200 ($100 was included). ASRock assumes no liability for damaged packages, that's why I paid the less than $2 more for the extra $100 of protection. Be sure to pad the MB well & if you still have it, install the protective cover for CPU socket.

At any rate, here's the specs of the PC with the same Z97 Extreme6 MB, it's rocking a (de-lidded) i7-4790K overclocked to 4.5 GHz & running 32GB of GSKILL Trident X 2400 MHz RAM, in XMP Mode #2, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW & Noctua NH-D15 for cooling, in a Fractal Design R5 case.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K8Vmqru2sdFfSV0VGzkG3kx

As pricey as Z97 MB's are getting on eBay & still rising, have another just like this one (although purchased on Amazon while fighing Newegg over this one), booted maybe 3-4 times per year, while this one runs 12-16 hours days. Will likely sell this MB within a year, or by the end of 2020 & put the other which has yet to see a week's of usage to work. One thing for sure, the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 has been a great MB, was among the first to have Ultra M.2 slot (plus another for SATA-3) & would be one of the few Z97 models which had Ultra M.2 period, most of the rest had the Gen 2 (or 10Gbps) slot. The only way for most to have Ultra M.2 were to install an add in card to the 2nd GPU slot to add whatever NVMe SSD desired.

No complaints here, tough MB & ASRock has been long a leader!(y)

Good Luck with the repair, please keep us informed of progress. This lets other members know how ASRock RMA process compares to the competition. Service after the sale is a big deal.:)

Cat

Reactions: virus9028

virus9028

Honorable
Jun 28, 2018
Hi i called asrock and everything is going smooth they gave me an rma # and i shipped out my mobo today. Asrock didnt mention a shipping label but thats fine, i paid 2 day shipping itll get there monday. I waited 2 days just like the automated email told me but they were very frequent on helping me figure out my information... Right now im just waiting.. My pc technician sais its the chipset that went bad

virus9028

Honorable
Jun 28, 2018
Sorry completely forgot about this thread. They switched it to a better mobo i think, not sure if its new or fixed yet but all i know i got a better board then my b250 i think i got an h270 as it seemed on the phone. I had no damaged pins so no mention of that. Delivered it monday before thanksgiving and should arrive dec 12.

I couldnt wait, i bought a new lga 1151 board on newegg luckily. My pc tech sais motherboards always fail after 1 to 3 years so i have 1 extra mobo as spare

Tech only charged me 60... Newegg parts 190 for mobo, case and cpu cooler.. Paid 20 for shipping to asrock

The tech knew if the cpu was good, where the motherboard had the problem, if all other parts were good, hes saving my data, charged me nice price... Hes a saint and very serious