P I5 overheats

Jul 3, 2018
Hi!

I just bought this used Motherboard and CPU:

Asus P8h67-v + I5 2500

I had an I3, but instead of stuff working better I had huge FPS drops in games (Overwatch, Fortnite), I tried everything to solve it but nothing worked till I remembered to check the temperature

I lowered the CPU energy setting to 98% and instead of 85ºc I'm getting 55ºc ( and apparently no more extreme FPS drop on games)

I know, I should replace the cooler (I already replaced the termal paste when I bought it)

Curious thing is, now I remember I had to do the same with my I3, just dropping 1 or 2% the energy setting lowers the temperature drastically ( and that one was brand new when I bought it).

Is that a known issue or I'm doing something wrong?

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
Looks like u have stock cooler, its normal to go up to 50c idle, 75c load
And runs hotter under stress , 95c in cinebench

Replace with a normal cooler, 9cm fan 4 heatpipe or better
Max.temp drop to 65c in cinebench

Jul 3, 2018
I have a stock cooler, but I already found the problem

The CPU was working at 100% all the time, so the temperature was for a very busy cpu all the time. I have a virus or malware that uses 100% of the cpu when I connect to internet but hides when I open the task manager (cores use go from 100% to 5% when I open it. its kinda cool actually.)

I had normal temperatures yesterday, I used games and Photoshop very smoothly, having the task manager open. I went to sleep yesterday but today I'll try to find that nasty malware

(I'll buy a better cooler anyway bc I'm barely below 50ºc and It can do better)