p3/667e as fast as a t-bird 900?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
after seeing your scores and hearing about the stuttering, it seems clear that the limiting factor in your t-bird system is the mobo. if all things are the same and your scores post the way they do, your pIII isn't beating your t-bird but since the stuttering is still happening, it has to be something to do with the mobo. make sure that you have flashed the lastest version of your motherboard's bios and see if that doesn't clear things up. if not come back and we'll see if there isn't anything else to be done.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I suggest having a long hard look at the bios of the MSI board, I think this is were you will find the issue. Aquaint yourself with it and browse the MSI faqs page for your board. Remember the msi board is a bit newer and has more features than the abit board. Try disabling fast writes in bios if you have not already. Make sure you have the latest via agp driver. This can be found at via's website. If you are installing the 4 n 1 version I suggest only using the agp driver and to the rest say no to the install option.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I'd be interested in knowing if any of the replys you got help solve your problem, after you finish waiding through all the testimonials and flaming and accusations of flaming.

BTW, is Giant or the other game you are having trouble with optimized for SSE or something like that?

If you do find the answer please post it, I would love to see the result.

Nexus7

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I downloaded the latest bios for my MSI board, I was going to do the beta bios but I decided not to in case it got worse. It's funny but I've tried disabling the fast right and fast read and it gets a little better but not by alot. The 6.71 drivers seem to do pretty good and it stops the shuttering for a while. I've tried it with AGP2x and even 1x and still nothing. I've gotten use to it now it's not too big of an issue. I've tried alot of the advise posted here and some of them seem to make it better. I'm now using the VIA 4-1 28 drivers and it also helped a bit.
A funny thing though in UT when playing in a window I get 189fps on the Athlon and 120 fps on the P3. It's probably the refresh rate of my monitor too. I'll look into your advice and note all the others posts here too for future reference.

Thank You all

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I suggest you try posting a thread over at AMD zone ( you will have to sign up first). The users over there are very helpfull and I am sure someone overthere that uses your board will be able to help. Http://www.amdzone.com

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!