P4C800-E Deluxe / Intel Raid to Promise Raid switch

DeathWish

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005

I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel Raid
controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking that
the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the other
two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:

Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck. It
seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start from
scratch.

Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
configuration, without getting an IDE drive?

Thanks,
TG

"Deathwish" <tgeswein@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel Raid
>controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking
>that the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the
>other two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:
>
> Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
> without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck.
> It seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start
> from scratch.
>
> Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
> configuration, without getting an IDE drive?
>
> Thanks,
> TG

If you move the array you'll have to rebuild it. have you tried attaching
the
single drive to the promise controller and setting up a raid 0 array and
just adding the single drive. Or does the controller support JBOD?
I've done this with other raid controllers.

Jim M

Paul

Splendid

In article <53yHd.4104$bn5.3071@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, "Deathwish"
<tgeswein@woh.rr.com> wrote:

> I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel Raid
> controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking that
> the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the other
> two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:
>
> Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
> without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck. It
> seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start from
> scratch.
>
> Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
> configuration, without getting an IDE drive?
>
> Thanks,
> TG

The Promise controller has an "ATA" driver on the download page.
Connect a single SATA drive to the Promise 20378 and use the ATA driver.
The Promise is more than a RAID chip.

Your array can remain undisturbed on the Intel RAID, as the highest
performance will be on the Intel interface.

Paul

"Deathwish" <tgeswein@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel
Raid
> controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking
that
> the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the other
> two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:
>
> Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
> without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck.
It
> seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start from
> scratch.
>
> Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
> configuration, without getting an IDE drive?

I moved RAID arrays from the Promise to the Intel and back again without any
damage to the array. Could still boot/read/write, etc. without issue. (Was
trying to benchmark at the time)

Also, you can put the single drive on the Promise controller and install the
IDE drivers (there are RAID and IDE drivers - you install the one you need).
You might even be able to just create a single drive array and use the RAID
driver.