bobsuruncle

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Hello,

I currently have an A31p Thinkpad with a 1.7Ghz CPU. The laptop's specs are found here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-58281

I opened the computer to get a look at the CPU and found this to be the exact one: http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5Z7&ProcFam=826&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

Here is a list of the entire P4m family (goes up to 2.6ghz): http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=826

What I want to know is, of the above list, which is the fastest cpu I will be able to upgrade to? I am guessing only 2ghz because my current CPU's stepping is B0 and the highest that goes to is 2ghz. Is it possible to use a cpu with a different stepping such as the 2.6ghz with D1 stepping?

Thanks!

John

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is that a Willy? Hopefully the thing will support Woodies too. Woodies give more performance per watt and per MHz than Willies. Heck, you could probably use a desktop Woody in that thing, so long as it's Socket 478.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

yup thats what he meant!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

bobsuruncle

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
lol ok thx for clearing that up.

The P4m Northwood only goes up to 2.6Ghz. Would I be able to put in a desktop P4 478 that is higher than 2.6Ghz?

Cheers,

John

G

Yup fastest P4 with NorthWood core is 3.2 If I rember correctly! and I think I do lol...

Crashman knows these CPU for such a long time he's past teh first name basis with them!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

bobsuruncle

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Wow, great info, thanks!

I'm a bit nervous about going above 2.6Ghz but 3.2 would be awesome. I doubt my machine supports hyperthreading though. No speedstepping with a desktop cpu either :)

Just curious what the power consumption would be between a 2.6 ghz and 3.2?

Thanks again!

John

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bobsuruncle on 08/15/05 11:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
One thing that I'd be concerned with when upgrading the processor in a laptop would be the Thermal Design Power of the existing CPU and the one I plan to upgrade to. To the best of my knowledge, laptop cases don't leave much of a margin in the system cooling for processors that produce more heat. Thus, if you were to toss in a processor with a higher TDP than your current one, you'd run the risk of system instability due to overheating.

Just a thought, and wquite welcome other's thoughts on this, as it's not something I've actually looked into.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Both should be Socket 478, but you're probably limitted to 400MHz bus. You could probably use the Desktop CPU to save money, but you'd get better battery life and cooling with a lower voltage version.

Intel offers the P4 Northwood at several voltages, the standard version (for desktops) a mobile (just a little lower voltage), and an even lower voltage version for the mobile. See what you can "dig up" on them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>