AlB

Hi all.
I have an ASUS P4P800-SE MB, WIN/XP PROF S2, 3 HDD (1 SATA for boot + 1 SATA
for data + 1 ATA 100 removable)
When I turn on my PC the video is black, the system is running (FAN AND HDD)
but trhe it does not boot.
At this point I press the HW reset button, the system restart and boot.

If I restart Win during a session the problem is NOT present.

Any idea ?

Tnx

Alberto

under the first page of bios settings, try to set "halt on all errors"
to none...see what happens. Or try it on other boot error settings,
this may lead you to some clue...but it sounds like a piece of
hardware is not initializing properly. Hows the power supply current /
voltage (see bios...)?

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:09:32 GMT, "Alb" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it>
wrote:

>Hi all.
>I have an ASUS P4P800-SE MB, WIN/XP PROF S2, 3 HDD (1 SATA for boot + 1 SATA
>for data + 1 ATA 100 removable)
>When I turn on my PC the video is black, the system is running (FAN AND HDD)
>but trhe it does not boot.
> At this point I press the HW reset button, the system restart and boot.
>
>If I restart Win during a session the problem is NOT present.
>
>Any idea ?
>
>Tnx
>
>Alberto

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

AlB

I'll try it, in the meantime I have noticed that is some circustances BIOS
(ver 1.007) loses BOOT configuration (reset to default) but I have no error
messages.

"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> under the first page of bios settings, try to set "halt on all errors"
> to none...see what happens. Or try it on other boot error settings,
> this may lead you to some clue...but it sounds like a piece of
> hardware is not initializing properly. Hows the power supply current /
> voltage (see bios...)?
>

> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:09:32 GMT, "Alb" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all.
>>I have an ASUS P4P800-SE MB, WIN/XP PROF S2, 3 HDD (1 SATA for boot + 1
>>SATA
>>for data + 1 ATA 100 removable)
>>When I turn on my PC the video is black, the system is running (FAN AND
>>HDD)
>>but trhe it does not boot.
>> At this point I press the HW reset button, the system restart and boot.
>>
>>If I restart Win during a session the problem is NOT present.
>>
>>Any idea ?
>>
>>Tnx
>>
>>Alberto
>>

> ñíñjà¤têç
>
> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

if you have access to a multimeter, I would check the voltage on the
3.3v battery and make sure the jumper is set correctly as well (see
manual)...it may be set to clear cmos...?

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:11:56 GMT, "Alb" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it>
wrote:

>I'll try it, in the meantime I have noticed that is some circustances BIOS
>(ver 1.007) loses BOOT configuration (reset to default) but I have no error
>messages.
>
>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> under the first page of bios settings, try to set "halt on all errors"
>> to none...see what happens. Or try it on other boot error settings,
>> this may lead you to some clue...but it sounds like a piece of
>> hardware is not initializing properly. Hows the power supply current /
>> voltage (see bios...)?
>>

>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:09:32 GMT, "Alb" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all.
>>>I have an ASUS P4P800-SE MB, WIN/XP PROF S2, 3 HDD (1 SATA for boot + 1
>>>SATA
>>>for data + 1 ATA 100 removable)
>>>When I turn on my PC the video is black, the system is running (FAN AND
>>>HDD)
>>>but trhe it does not boot.
>>> At this point I press the HW reset button, the system restart and boot.
>>>
>>>If I restart Win during a session the problem is NOT present.
>>>
>>>Any idea ?
>>>
>>>Tnx
>>>
>>>Alberto
>>>

>> ñíñjà¤têç
>>
>> -----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

AlB

What happen is really strange.
I have no moved default jumpers on MB, now I'm trying a lot of test.

1) Is not always true it lost BIOS setting.
2) If I change something (i.e. Torn off a removable HDD I have, set bios so
that it can boot ONLY from a given HDD ecc ecc) and turn off the PC when it
restart the FIRST TIME all is ok, if I turn off it again and restart for a
SECOND TIME then there is the problem

It seems that during the dhutdwon something changes, but in the latest 2/3
test not in the BIOS

thank you

Alberto
> if you have access to a multimeter, I would check the voltage on the
> 3.3v battery and make sure the jumper is set correctly as well (see
> manual)...it may be set to clear cmos...?

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <gljAd.339797$b5.16729841@news3.tin.it>, "Alb" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it> wrote:
>What happen is really strange.
>I have no moved default jumpers on MB, now I'm trying a lot of test.
>
>1) Is not always true it lost BIOS setting.
>2) If I change something (i.e. Torn off a removable HDD I have, set bios so
>that it can boot ONLY from a given HDD ecc ecc) and turn off the PC when it
>restart the FIRST TIME all is ok, if I turn off it again and restart for a
>SECOND TIME then there is the problem
>
>It seems that during the dhutdwon something changes, but in the latest 2/3
>test not in the BIOS
>
>thank you

What power supply do you have, is it a TTGI brand?

>Alberto
>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> if you have access to a multimeter, I would check the voltage on the
>> 3.3v battery and make sure the jumper is set correctly as well (see
>> manual)...it may be set to clear cmos...?

I have seen that beafore, where you set bios to boot, from say a usb
hdd and it would reset the cmoss. Make sure to set usb boot to auto or
off, not enabled...that worked for me...

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:27:56 GMT, "Alb" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it>
wrote:

>What happen is really strange.
>I have no moved default jumpers on MB, now I'm trying a lot of test.
>
>1) Is not always true it lost BIOS setting.
>2) If I change something (i.e. Torn off a removable HDD I have, set bios so
>that it can boot ONLY from a given HDD ecc ecc) and turn off the PC when it
>restart the FIRST TIME all is ok, if I turn off it again and restart for a
>SECOND TIME then there is the problem
>
>It seems that during the dhutdwon something changes, but in the latest 2/3
>test not in the BIOS
>
>thank you
>
>Alberto
>"Bill Smith" <bs@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> if you have access to a multimeter, I would check the voltage on the
>> 3.3v battery and make sure the jumper is set correctly as well (see
>> manual)...it may be set to clear cmos...?

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

AlB

I have solved my problem..
I have to set the BIOS setting in BOOT section "Interrupt 19 capture" to
ENABLED
all now is ok.

Thank you anyway

Alberto