P55 On A Budget: Five Core i5/i7 Motherboards For $100-$150

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonedriver1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
What about using the P55-UD3R with a Core i7 920 processor? This processor can be bought for $200 and if it would work, this could be a fast and relatively inexpensive system. Gigabyte does not list the 920 as a
supported processor.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Bonedriver1[/nom]What about using the P55-UD3R with a Core i7 920 processor? This processor can be bought for $200 and if it would work, this could be a fast and relatively inexpensive system. Gigabyte does not list the 920 as asupported processor.[/citation]

The i7-9xx series uses a completely different socket. The LGA 1366 socket used by the 920 has more pins (1366 vs 1156) and is significantly larger than the LGA 1156 socket.

LGA 1366 uses the X58 platform, while LGA 1156 uses the P55 platform.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Well, there was a $25-$30 bump in these boards in recent weeks.. so they pushed $180 when in demand. I was lucky to get a msi-gd65 for $137 on bf/cm event($10 rebate too+free ship). That and MC's $149 combined with newgg's $80 memory created enough incentive to do a $600 build/upgrade.

i5 750 $162.93 *149.99 + ny tax
$128.93 (after rebate gd65 mb)
4gbmem $ 79.99 (g.skill c7 12800/1600mhz)
500w/ps$ 38.15 (lousy 8 pin connector requirement-- my 450 would've done fine)
5750vid$151.97 (not the best price but I got hosed on shipping)

so, $561.97 after the rebate comes-- not bad for a middle of the road upgrade with dx11 future proofing. spending $150+ more than my build range does not net much gain unless your looking to max specs out all the way, then sky's the limit. $300 on a platinum m/b (overkill for lynnfield-- no?), tol chip & 16gb of the lowest latency//fastest memory around combined with an array of hd's can easily double or triple my upgrade cost in a complete build.

Short of the eventual price cuts that are coming.. it will be hard to beat the prices for my build.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
On Newegg, the GA-P55-UD3R is still 139.99, and the Asus P7P55D is still 149.99. You may have been looking at the higher end versions, like the P7P55D pro and the GA-P55-UD4P.

Additionally, you don't have to use an 8-pin supplementary power connector if the motherboard accepts it. It will take a 4-pin and work just fine (you may run into issues overclocking or if you otherwise overextend the motherboard's power in some other way).

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
My take: these were, unfortunate, parts failures. In an analysis of the failure these things are not part of the problem: the brand of board; whether it was being over clocked or not; finally the QC is not a likely a factor, either. Catastrophic failures like these are rare. Most likely the fault was in a part of the regulator circuit, which consists of an integrated regulator chip, an inductor, a few capacitors and a few resistors. No load fault (ie, short circuit, thermal overload, or undervoltage should cause a failure in such regulator circuits. It may be possible it is a board problem (trace being next to a noisy one, inducing some perturbation in regulation, or possibly a condition where a trace opened (which, with a loaded regulator passing a lot of current, the flyback can cause a catastrophic failure like that. It could have been a pin not making good connection in the socket. The point being, it isn't related to brand or quality so much. It may be vendor related. It could be from so many possible things, only a failure analysis will find the route cause. I believe it takes an electronics engineer to determine that. The shame is, I have never heard the feedback from any company on what the route cause was of such catastrophic failure.

I had an inductor blow on a phase on an ASRock X58 board recently. A replacement board is still working fine months later. Psychologically I would naturally be wary of buying the same brand and model of anything that failed that way; logically, I know better. I've worked with power conversion circuits for over 30 years. Some failure just happen; the root cause is never found, despite thousands of other identical circuits that never fail in service.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]insightdriver[/nom]My take: these were, unfortunate, parts failures...Some failure just happen; the root cause is never found, despite thousands of other identical circuits that never fail in service.[/citation]Wow, well if you're an engineer I'll make this simple, so that you don't over-analyze: You cannot put 150A through a 100A circuit. OK, I'll make it even simpler: All these boards had one thing in common, a reduced-capacity voltage regulator compared to more-expensive models. Some of the boards were retested and failed a second time. The problem is that people trying to save money often revert to overclocking, yet the boards you save money with come with cheap power regulators that often lack even though most basic overload protection.

ASRock fixed most of its enthusiast-market motherboards by enabling overcurrent protection. That fix means that the board resets whenever CPU load overdraws the voltage regulator. The result is that ASRock boards now reset at load levels that are sustained by motherboards with higher-capacity voltage regulators, so that those with higher-capacity win the competition.

It's simple. Really it is. If you give Tom's Hardware a weak part and tell them it's OK to push it, they'll break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.