[P5K / P35] Boot and no post problem

StanAmsterdam

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Purpose of this topic is to create one thread in which all people with the described types of problems can react and communicate, and hopefully come up with solutions or work-arounds. Current count of topics around the net (Google it!) and all shops flooded with RMA's of the P5K series, tell me it's a very big and unsolved problem.

The problem:
The motherboard wont boot or post, or it will but very random or under very strange and specific conditions.
All fans will spin (and keep spinning), all LEDs are on, all disks and USB devices go on but you just don't get error codes (BIOS beeps) or video. With memory removed it sometimes will give the memory beeps though.
Heat and memory seem to make the difference as cold systems tend to have the problem as well as boards with more than one strip of memory installed or with exotic RAM modules.
This problem is everywhere known as the P5K (or P35) 'No post problem' or 'No / cold boot issue'.
IF the board boots, the system is very stable, stays on and is stressable and solid as a rock.

Research done:
For almost two weeks I've read almost hundred threads on forums (e.g. TomsHardware, Asus etc.) and I replaced all components and tried numerous configurations and settings etc.

My personal config:
Asus P5KR rev. 1.02G (or P5K rev. 1.02G), C2D E6750, GeIL Dragon 2 x 1GB DDR2 (or Kingston 2 x 1GB, which is on the Qualified Vendor List QVL), Ati HD3870 PCIe (or Ati X300 PCIe), Coolermaster Extreme Power 450W, Zalman 7700 AlCu.

Standard solutions (all tried of course!):
* Remove all components but CPU and try to get error beeps (works after CMOS clear).
* Remove all components but CPU, RAM and video and start to add from there.
* Replace all components by others (as a heavier power supply, videocard, memory etc.)(see my list above).
* Update (or downgrade!) BIOS (I had 0403 and tried all up to the current 0703 on my P5KR).
* CMOS clear / reset (remove battery, set jumper for 5 mins, reset jumper, add battery) and/or replace battery.
* BIOS default settings.
* All BIOS settings on manual, or underclock memory (DDR2-667) or up the voltages (DRAM Voltage 1.8 to 2.0 or 2.2 volt (at your own risk!!!)).
* Test memory (MemTest86+)(whole night, both strips were 100% ok) and CPU (Prime etc.)(whole night, CPU is perfect).
* RMA the motherboard or repair it (I had a P5K with the problem, but my new P5KR shows exactly the same problems).

Results:

After having tried all (list above: Solutions) with all kinds of parts (list above: My config), I isolated the problem to the following.
The board only boots when the CMOS is just cleared and there is only 1 strip of memory installed. From then on the system will boot sometimes, sometimes it won't and sometimes even when you add another stick of RAM.
Dual channel seems to make the problems even worse, as well as the temperature (warm booting seems better).

Conclusion:
The Intel P35 chipset is very hard to satisfy and boot and is very very picky on its memory, specifically the Asus P5K series!
Problem boards only boot after a CMOS clear and with some types of memory, 1 stick installed.
I really hope future BIOS updates will solve the annoying and amateuristic problems on these motherboards, because the problems seem to be softwarematic.
Large amounts of RMA's point on a big problem, and I hope I can keep my 2 boards instead of join the big P5K RMA community.

Please join this topic if you recognise this as being your problem, or if you have additions, work-arounds or even solutions!

Thanks!

m9x3mos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Currently I have the P5K-e wifi board and been having this problem ongoing since september and trying to get RMA thru asus and they do not really seem to want to help out at all. this recent board was a replacement and was a used Pile that had more problems then the original intermitant problem and pci slots and everything are really loose in comparison. Now this time when the problem would happen i would eventually do f1 to load defaults when getting the error with overclocking failed even though the board was not overclocked at all. then the system would not post period. would have to clear bios with the jumper and then would be fine at that is it. I have been doing alot of research on the problem and it seems to be a hugh problem with the e6750 chip and the q6600 processors mainly. These are from the post of complaints the main things that i have seen the problm occur with. And the funny thing is this last time that I sent the board into asus they had asked me to send in my components so that they would be able to the board. While I refused them that since that would be over 500$ in components but gave them the exact list so they could do their tests. Recently since I have still to get mine or any board back yet I had given the another call the told me that they tested it with the components I have and have not been able to replicate the problem. When I asked them what processor the where using they told me it was a pentium 4. This was from a level 3 tech testing the board. I what realm is a Pentium 4 the same as a q6600? I think Asus has just a defective product for these cases even though the claim it will support them and does not making it a faulty product and don't want to do anything to take care of it. Current this tech is tesdting another P5K-E wifi to send out and was going to try and find a Q6600 to test with what are the odds of it happening again. These boards are really becoming to be a pain in the rear. All I know is I used to be a big supporter of asus products and doubt that i will be purchaseing from them again.

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
kinda like my rampage formula, refuses to boot no matter what and i treid most of the above I don't have another LGA775 CPU through -.-

Oc_Webb

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I have the same issue. 8700gt and the p5k. I called Asus andn they had me tape all the board bounts with black tape. This did not work. My system has never been able to boot not even one time. Stock bios settings.

Anyone have any luck?

My next step is to go to a friends house and use his video card and flash the latest bios.

tubaloth

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I just barely posted about my problems in new thread. I scroll down to see if anybody else is having the same problem I find this thread.

P5k Deluxe (WiFi) (With a Q6600 and a 8800GTS)
Bought this motherboard pretty much after it came out just over 2 years now.
During Thanksgiving time (08), turned my computer on and it powered up but nothing every showed on my screen.
I ended up buying an open box of the same motherboard on newegg.
Got it and put that into my computer booted up the first time so I was happy, it did have to reinstall some drivers but I didn’t lose any data.
But sense then, every time I turn my computer on for the first time, it turns on but nothing on my screen. (Kind of like the problem I had with my other motherboard). I figure out if I power down the power supply and then turn on the computer it boots just fine.
I thought it was a power configuration problem, but after running through all of those I don’t think it is.
From reading asus’s forums it sounds like it could be a RAM issue. I have Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5 2GB Kit DDR2-1066 XMS2-8500.
I have reset the Cmos as recommended. That didn’t fix anything. I usually just leave everything on auto, the motherboard finds the ram and the speed (1066) but when I turn the computer on the next day, it doesn’t boot, (cold start) I power cycle the power supply boots up just fine (no warning of a failed overclock or anything).
I probably should have returned this to newegg but I’m now past my 30 days (I guess I thought I could fix this problem).
The last tests I have done is turn my computer off, wait 10 seconds and turn it on. Much to my surprise this works fine. But once I left my computer off for 10 mins I had to power cycle.

It does seem like there a problem with the RAM settings from a cold start. I haven't talked to ASUS because I didn't think they would offer any support but should I give them a call too?

Thanks for this thread!

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hi everyone

I have had this problem from Feb 08, Its an obsolutely pain up the arse. It is a 100% memory problem, tried everything above and some extras. But I find i have to press the reset button a few times before or if not at all..boot, then it comes up with its classic "Overclocking failed"!!
Cold boot is a no go, I once had my computer start from cold boots three days in a row, but it soon came to an annoying end. The only way to boot consistantly every time is to turn all your computer equipment off from the plug. When the green light isnt on and then you turn the power back it boots up like a treat!!! but why the HELL should i have too!! I talked to Asus, they just put me through to a worker named wong and he didnt have a clue!!! So the solution is simple....

1. Replace the motherboard and go for a Gigabyte as this board seems to be peoples absolute favourite!!
2. Put up with it and turn off you computer by the mains....everytime....
3. Wait for Asus to bring out an update, even though this board is no longer on the website for support......I think.....
4. Go on a rampage and regretfully jsut throw the F***er out the window.

Hope this helps!

G

lol yep thats my thread.

its so annoying, because its such a good mobo except for this large problem!

i might buy some different ram, as its fairly cheap these days and report back. Has anyone got any ram they have definately got working with this mobo.

Thanks

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Unfortunately the ram really doesnt make a difference! It doesnt like RAM full stop, I have had this problem coming up to a year now and have read a number of aritcles and forums and tried practically everything.
Even if you find ram that boots your computer from cold boot, it is then challenged by the AI overclokcing functions, NOS and Q-fan . Lets just face it, the Asus P5K boards are a huge flop, especially the PREMIUM BLACK PEARL edition which is really disapointing since the reviews were amazing, but of course when they are review they are not turned on from cold boot!!! I just wish reviews were over a few days!!! If there is any definate fixes ,not guessing ram timings and voltages, I would love to know!!

rpws1

G

got the P5K Premium over 15months now.

Q6600
P5K-Premium
OCZ reaper 8500 4x1gb

but 6 months ago, board was acting funny from cold boot (no post), reset fix it for a while.
2 month later, no post after reset, clear bios fix it.
After that, no post even if I clear the bios. Did some research on net, read somewhere that by puttin low speed single ram (Corsair ValueSelect 667MHz DDR2) can boot the board and from the bios do the timing, speed and dram voltage for the fast ram (ocz reaper).
That works great for 4months.
No post from cold boot, manage to boot 3 of the OCZ ram, and within a month, all 3 failed.

So I just used the Corsair ValueSelect 667MHz DDR2 1gb single slot for like 3months now and no problem bootin from cold start.

My friend started havin similar problem with his p5e, so I went round to his place with my 4 ocz reaper ram and and the single corsair. Find out that all my ocz ram was fired and 1 of his single ballistix (4x1GB ddr2 8500) failed to boot 5/5 by it self while his other 3 boot 4/5 times. He ask me to rma it today for him so I took it home and test it on my system. both boot with no problem on the p5k premium.

The problem I have with the ballistix is that I have to power down the system completely from the main for it to boot and post. If I just turn it off and on without powering down the motherboard from the main. it would not boot up.

gonna rma the ram and hopefully computer would act how it was when I first built it.

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Monkey

I hope the Rma works for you, but the real problem lies with Asus not pulling there finger out and making an Update that will the compatibility problems with any RAM upto 1066mhz! The black pearl premium is suppose to reach 1066mhz with ease, but it wont boot with even my ram set at 800mhz!!!

Even this morning I had to turn off my PSU from the plug for it to boot...after hitting reset about 5 times. I have tried to set the RAM differently, with differnt voltages, timing etc..and some times..i get a good few days of successful boots..but then it eventually...becomes anal..and doesnt want to work.....If theres a set in stone solution...would love to know!!!!!

G

hi rpws1

I think its just very unlucky for some of us who own the p5k premium. I built another system with the same spec for a friend of mine a week after I built mine. Everything is the same expect the graphic and psu. I left his bio's settin on auto on everything, expect the fsb so it can run on 1066mhz while my one was set up manual on timing, voltages, etc. his one is still running without a problem for over 15months now.

I'm not really sure but I think it got to do with the rams. like i mention on my first post, one of my friend ballistix ram failed to boot his p5e while my p5k boot up his failed stick right away running at 1066mhz, even if his faulty.

I already rma all my ram back to ocz, so I hope everything is back to normal. Just find out some info from ocz website forum, the ocz reaper 8500 voltage settin is around 2.0-2.1v, any higher it would fry the ram, defult voltage set on auto in bio's is 1.8v (which explain Y my friend one is still running good). Had mine on 2.1 when I first built it and bump it up to 2.2v when I start to have problem, website and manuel on the ram say it can do 2.1-2.3 (incorrect as stated on ocz forum).

diggos

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I`ve got same issues with a Asus P5K P35 mobo. I`ve described my problems in here . As my mobo past the warranty period, I`ve ordered a new bios chip. Still wait for it. If it is going to work, I`ll post here the results I`ll get with the new bios.

All the best!

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Anony

Yeah..I played with the voltage...didnt put it any higher than 2.15v.......but still had problems before anyway. I just wish, that instead of asus expecting us to send our motherboards back to our supplier and replace it cos they cant work it out, that Asus says..send it too us...we will put in the post a guaranteed working motherboard which we have tested with all Rams upto 1066mhz....instead of **** us around like a dog chasinf a car....keep me update with your news...If the replaced ram works..then i'll send mine back in the post!!!!

regards

rpws1

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
hi rpws1

I think its just very unlucky for some of us who own the p5k premium. I built another system with the same spec for a friend of mine a week after I built mine. Everything is the same expect the graphic and psu. I left his bio's settin on auto on everything, expect the fsb so it can run on 1066mhz while my one was set up manual on timing, voltages, etc. his one is still running without a problem for over 15months now.

I'm not really sure but I think it got to do with the rams. like i mention on my first post, one of my friend ballistix ram failed to boot his p5e while my p5k boot up his failed stick right away running at 1066mhz, even if his faulty.

I already rma all my ram back to ocz, so I hope everything is back to normal. Just find out some info from ocz website forum, the ocz reaper 8500 voltage settin is around 2.0-2.1v, any higher it would fry the ram, defult voltage set on auto in bio's is 1.8v (which explain Y my friend one is still running good). Had mine on 2.1 when I first built it and bump it up to 2.2v when I start to have problem, website and manuel on the ram say it can do 2.1-2.3 (incorrect as stated on ocz forum).

Hi Anony

Yeah..I played with the voltage...didnt put it any higher than 2.15v.......but still had problems before anyway. I just wish, that instead of asus expecting us to send our motherboards back to our supplier and replace it cos they cant work it out, that Asus says..send it too us...we will put in the post a guaranteed working motherboard which we have tested with all Rams upto 1066mhz....instead of **** us around like a dog chasinf a car....keep me update with your news...If the replaced ram works..then i'll send mine back in the post!!!!

regards

rpws1

G

Hi all

Just got my first pair back from rma, put it in and it boots up right away. shut it down and set the fsb for 1066mhz only and still boot up from cold boot up without havin to turn the main off. I got work now so I gonna have to do more testing tomorrow. would keep in touch.

G

ps: forgot to sign in when I posted the other two time, I am the Anonymous poster.

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
For now it will boot...cos when you turned your power off to put in rAM it will work..if it still works after a week tell me!!!!

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
For now it will boot...cos when you turned your power off to put in rAM it will work..if it still works after a week tell me!!!!

diggos

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
As I promised, I`ve come back to post the results of testing my mobo(P5K/P35) with new Bios chip. Unfortunately no change. So I take it that is a design flow, rather than a bios problem. So I resorted to my last solution. I`ve bin the mobo. :( But first I`ve attempted a repair with the hammer. This was my last ASUS motherboard. I will never buy one again.

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I feel the same...but wont get rid of it...till the new i7...go down in price along with the motherboard prices also!!!! More input would still be accepted if an perminant solution is available!!!!

D_Monkey

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
hi all

Sorry about the late reply, being using the computer for a month now and there is no problem at all. the 2 pair of ocz I sent off for rma was replaced with new ones (dont look refurb, everything was retail pack). All 4 been running at 1066mhz almost a month now and comp is switch off when not in use. cold boot up no problem.

rma the ram sorted out my problem with this Mboard.

D_Monkey