Question p5k se upgrade components

Jul 9, 2019
I have a asus p5k se motheboard and want to upgrade some parts. I am looking to do mostly basic internet browsing and some Garmin cam video editing. I had 2 gigs of ram , a 650 watt power supply. and 512 video card which has done me great over the years but now on my video editing software i just got for the Garmin cam im using comes out but the built in gps overlay is delayed and when i called Garmin they told me my video card has to be at least 1gb, hence the upgrade now.

so i just got 4 addition gigs of crutical 800 memory now so i have a total of 6 gig according to my computer but only 3.25 is usable (i think cause i have 2 difrent typs of memory , could this be why? )

also what video card can this motherboard handle? there are a lot of diffrent options that i dont know what they mean . I know i have a pcie x16 but what does the 2.0,, 2.1, 3.0 mean ? can i get any of them? also can i get any memory video card like ddr2 , ddr3 etc ? and what is the most my motherboard can handle?

and last is there any restriction on what hard drive i can get?

Keep in mind the editing i am doing is 1080p for now but may get into 4k if i come across a cheap cam. also when i say editing i dont mean a whole production just downloading the video and maby cutting some stuff out to shorten it. soi dont want to pour a ton of money into this aging motherboard so what would you recoment for these computer tasks?

thanks for your input

pazarac01

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
FIrst of all , do you have 32bit or 64bit Operating System . If you have 32bit upgrade immediatly to 64bit, because the 32bit OS wont recognize more than 3 or at some cases 4GB of RAM . About the GPU , as long as the motherboard has PCIe x16 slot pretty much almost every PCIe GPU will work(exept in very rare case scenarios ) and PCIe 2.0 2.1 etc are just different versions of PCIe and the difference between those versions are only in speed of data transfer(it shouldnt worry you that much trust me), and yes you can get any DDR2,DD3 and DDR5 GPU. You can use any HDDs and SSDs but note that your motherboard is a bit older and it may have slower SATA2 connection so you wont achive full perfomance of your SSD(if you buy one) .

Jul 9, 2019
FIrst of all , do you have 32bit or 64bit Operating System . If you have 32bit upgrade immediatly to 64bit, because the 32bit OS wont recognize more than 3 or at some cases 4GB of RAM . About the GPU , as long as the motherboard has PCIe x16 slot pretty much almost every PCIe GPU will work(exept in very rare case scenarios ) and PCIe 2.0 2.1 etc are just different versions of PCIe and the difference between those versions are only in speed of data transfer(it shouldnt worry you that much trust me), and yes you can get any DDR2,DD3 and DDR5 GPU. You can use any HDDs and SSDs but note that your motherboard is a bit older and it may have slower SATA2 connection so you wont achive full perfomance of your SSD(if you buy one) .
thanks i have a 32 bit windows 7 ultimate . how or what do i need to upgrade to 64 bit and will that affect my programs? also so you think if i get 4 2gb sticks the 32 bit wont recognise 8gb of memory?

pazarac01

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
thanks i have a 32 bit windows 7 ultimate . how or what do i need to upgrade to 64 bit and will that affect my programs? also so you think if i get 4 2gb sticks the 32 bit wont recognise 8gb of memory?

First of all , to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit you will need to wipe your partition and to install it freshly . By wiping your partition (for example C partition which i guess that your Operating System and programs would be) you gonna delete all data on that partition . What I usually do is a backup all of my programs,photos,videos,programs and any other data too USB Flash Drive or to another partition which is gonna be used for backup and not for OS . Also , as I stated before 32 bit OS will not recognize more than 3 or 4GB of RAM even if you have 4 sticks of 2GB RAM .

Jul 9, 2019
First of all , to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit you will need to wipe your partition and to install it freshly . By wiping your partition (for example C partition which i guess that your Operating System and programs would be) you gonna delete all data on that partition . What I usually do is a backup all of my programs,photos,videos,programs and any other data too USB Flash Drive or to another partition which is gonna be used for backup and not for OS . Also , as I stated before 32 bit OS will not recognize more than 3 or 4GB of RAM even if you have 4 sticks of 2GB RAM .
do i need any hardware to go to 64 bit or is it just basically a setting?

pazarac01

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
Sorry for a bit late answer , and yes you need hardware that support 64bit , specifically processor . To se if your processor is 64bit just google your processor name and model and you should find websites with your processors specifications . Or you can type CPU name and model here so I could find if its 32bit or 64bit
architecture . Its nothing that hard . Also if you dont know how to find your CPU name , just right click on Computer icon on desktop (if you have it ) or go to start menu and right click on text which says Computer . After that , a menu should pop up , and the only thing to do is to click on "Properties" button .

Jul 9, 2019
I believe I went somewhere oh my computer and it did say it was capable of 64-bit I believe I have the Q 6600.
Also I found this video card is this too strong for my computer I am getting a great deal on it $40
AMD FirePro V5900 2GB GDDR5

Jul 9, 2019
Sorry for a bit late answer , and yes you need hardware that support 64bit , specifically processor . To se if your processor is 64bit just google your processor name and model and you should find websites with your processors specifications . Or you can type CPU name and model here so I could find if its 32bit or 64bit
architecture . Its nothing that hard . Also if you dont know how to find your CPU name , just right click on Computer icon on desktop (if you have it ) or go to start menu and right click on text which says Computer . After that , a menu should pop up , and the only thing to do is to click on "Properties" button .

here is my stats intel cor 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.4 ghz 2.39ghz

system type 32 bit

also when i go to system information it says its x86

and if i go to system properties then windows experience index , then view detailed performance and info it does say 64 bit capible and have a yes next to it.

so with all that info can i upgrade to a 64 bit version of windows 7
also was wondering if i can upgrade streight to windows 10 64 bit also?