P8P67 LEGACY ERROR

doja1234

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hello,

I just got done putting together my new 2600k build, and I can't get into windows.

SPECS:
P8P67 DLX
12 GB Corsair GT
WD 150 GB Raptor

I have the hard drive and dvd burner plugged into the intel sata ports 3 and 4. I get the AE legacy boot error on the boards digital read out. I managed to boot from CD and install windows only to have the same problem reoccur on my first reboot. I have flashed and updated the bio to no avail.

rohicks

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

I'm getting this same error as of tonight after upgrading to bios 2001. Did you figure out how to get passed this error?
I've checked my boot priorities and they are fine. I've tried booting from USB and restoring bios to a later date. Nothing works.

Any input?

rohicks

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

They are IDE now. When i set bios to default settings to attempt repair it went back to AHCI mode. Would that harm my system if it tried to boot into a different SATA mode? Or just cause boot failure? I've heard i might have to reinstall windows if it tried to boot in AHCI when i have IDE method installed or is that wrong? Although if the drivers for IDE/AHCI is already installed on the device switching back to the setting that it was set to, in my case IDE, it should boot right? Neither setting would boot for me.

I've restored bios to defaults, and keep checking my boot priorities. I even manually force the boot to my windows install a few times. Right now my boot order is DVD/windows HD/USB/blank HD.

I went from 1606 bios to the new 2001 bios hoping that it would update the memory list and fix some compatibility issues allowing me to finally OC my rig, but that's another subject.

So i was able to boot into free dos mode via the original asus cd and able to get into my USB bios updater to try and roll back my bios to the 1606 that was working for me. Apparently stupid asus put in the ability to NOT roll back bios in this version. See the link for a screenshot to what i mean.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1053401/pc/bios.jpg

A thought to maybe trying to install windows 7 on my second HD and trying to boot from that install to see what happens or if the 2001 bios will allow me to boot into an OS at all? Or do you think that's just a waste of time? Or can i even have multiple Windows installs without them conflicting if they are on separate drives? I've never tried it.

I've tried clearing my CMOS via the button and battery removal method to see what happens. Same results.

I'm going to try a reinstall of the 2001 bios via the USB free dos method, and try a boot/repair via the windows 7 pro disc. If those don't work i'm at a loss as to what to do, and asus support is helping me either.

Have you tried using the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility in the Tool tab page of the EFI BIOS Utility? It doesn't require an OS to be available to work and is considered to be the safer update method.

All you need is a FAT32/16 formatted USB flash drive with the desired BIOS .ROM binary file on it (e.g. P8P67-DELUXE-ASUS-1702.ROM).

Version 1702 is the latest non-Beta BIOS version unless you really like being a Beta tester.

rohicks

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

As much as I'd like to install a known stable rom i can't. I definitely don't want to be a beta tester, but the rom that was shipped on my cd is in beta mode according to the website anyways? Odd.

As i said in my previous post the asus removed the ability to roll-back to a previous rom when you have 2001 installed.
See this image for what i mean when i tried to roll-back to the rom that was shipped on my cd v.1606 after i updated the bios to 2001.

The screen shots you see are loaded from my USB, just not through the EFI utility. It's through free dos, which i loaded my usb and then loaded the bupdater and then loaded the rom to be installed. I just got off the phone with an asus support guy and he recommends all consumers use the USB method to update. He also said the only thing i haven't done is a fresh windows install. He thinks somehow my windows was corrupted.

I've switched my HD ports around. I think this has something to do with the bios not seeing my HDs or trying to boot in a wrong raid configuration, but no matter what i change it to nothing boots correctly. I know i installed windows as IDE, but any option i run it with no longer boots.

As much as I'd like to install a known stable rom i can't. I definitely don't want to be a beta tester, but the rom that was shipped on my cd is in beta mode according to the website anyways? Odd.

You don't have to use the BIOS Version that is on the CD. It's always outdated. You should always download the latest non-Beta from ASUS.

As i said in my previous post the asus removed the ability to roll-back to a previous rom when you have 2001 installed.
See this image for what i mean when i tried to roll-back to the rom that was shipped on my cd v.1606 after i updated the bios to 2001.

That's the limitation of the DOS utility.

The screen shots you see are loaded from my USB, just not through the EFI utility. It's through free dos, which i loaded my usb and then loaded the bupdater and then loaded the rom to be installed. I just got off the phone with an asus support guy and he recommends all consumers use the USB method to update. He also said the only thing i haven't done is a fresh windows install. He thinks somehow my windows was corrupted.

Why even bother using DOS when there's no need to?

What Windows version is currently installed on your bootable HDD?

I've switched my HD ports around. I think this has something to do with the bios not seeing my HDs or trying to boot in a wrong raid configuration, but no matter what i change it to nothing boots correctly. I know i installed windows as IDE, but any option i run it with no longer boots.

You should be using the SATA ports attached to the Intel P67 chipset. The boot order can be set in the EFI BIOS Utility so there's really no need to swap around SATA data cables.

You haven't said which Windows version you installed in IDE mode.

rohicks

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
In my boot manager menu in the bios i'm now seeing all of these options to boot to (i don't understand why it has my dvd rom listed twice or what that other IBA slot device is?)...
windows boot manager
SATA: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1tb windows install drive)
SATA: WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (500gb)
SATA: ATAPI iHAS124 B (dvd rom)
IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1365
UEFI: SATA: ATAPI iHAS124 B (dvd rom)

I just disabled all boot options besides my hard drives to see if it could recognize my windows install and i was able to boot into windows.

Generally speaking, I generally try to keep DVD/BR off the first (4) Intel SATA ports - less issues especially in AHCI/RAID.

Move the DVD/BR, change the SATA -> AHCI and save, boot and run 'Fix It' -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Note - I assume that you installed ALL of the drivers listed for your MOBO - http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_DELUXE/#download
Note - All P67/Z68's use the latest BIOS - EXCEPT the 1st for '22nm' CPU support/2nd is generally okay. Use Version 1702

ASUS EZ Flash 2:
EZ Flash 2 is a built-in App to allow the BIOS to be upgraded and USB Flash Drive is the storage for the BIOS ROM file to be stored/accessed from with BIOS EZ Flash 2. The USB Flash drive must be formatted in FAT-32.

Link -> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1&model=P5B+Deluxe
Video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKQj_aASCQ

Did you use a camera to take a picture of your screen? There is a much better way to do screen captures of the EFI BIOS screens using a USB flash drive and the F12 key to print the screen to a uniquely named 2.25 MB bitmap file for each screen captured on the USB flash drive.

To switch from IDE mode TO AHCI mode when Windows 7 is initially installed in IDE mode follow the instructions as provided by Microsoft below.

Enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

This should save you from having to reinstall and re-customize Windows 7 and all of your applications unless you really like reinstalling and reconfiguring.

rohicks

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

Go into the boot device priority screen of the UEFI, and disable all potential boot (optical, USB, removeable, network etc...) devices except for the HDD(s). This will help in resolving your problem, and minimize any delay the UEFI takes in looking for boot devices.

Look specifically into the HDD sub menu in the UEFI to ensure that all HD drives are included in the Hard disk boot priority menu, and the one that you believe contains your OS the first of the two HDDs.

make and save these changes in the UEFI, boot, and post back the results.