[SOLVED] P8Z77-M mobo failure - can't boot with previously working RTX2080 GPU

jeffrey.stockman

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
mobo: Asus P8Z77M (updated to latest BIOS from 2016)
cpu: i7-3770K (not overclocked)
gpu: Asus ROG Strix RTX2080 Gaming (not overclocked)
DRAM: Kingston 16GB (on the compatibility list; correct XMP profile loaded in BIOS)
PSU: Corsair CX600M

Had a stable system going since 2013. Upgraded to the RTX2080 four months ago, just lost my display (system boots normally - one beep, but I get black screen with no BIOS / Windows). With the GPU plugged in, I can't get to BIOS / Windows (all black display, fans & lights all work normally).

GPU checks out - I have another system with a 2080Ti - I tested the RTX2080 GPU and it's perfectly fine in that system.

PSU checks out- I purchased a brand new PSU Corsair RM750X - it's giving me the same results as the CX600M.

Pulled everything out - no oxidation, no dust, no bent pins (CPU). Flashed BIOS, reset CMOS & new battery, re-seated CPU, Memory. In BIOS, I see 16GB DRAM, all my hard drives. I now have a stable system using my onboard video without RTX2080 installed. One nuance - I can't get onboard HDMI to work, but I get my signal just fine through DVI. If I plug in RTX2080, I get normal operation but a black display.

My next logical step would be to test the second PCIE slot on the MOBO, but I think the speed on that second slot is too slow for the 2080 (not sure it has GPU boost). And I would have to modify my case - which is going to be a PITA (will have to drill out rivets and move HDD bay).

Anything I'm missing before I scrap this system and upgrade?

Last edited:
Solution
Makes sense on the above. It's my wife's CPU, and she does more workstation / photo editing than gaming, so its speed is ok for the time being. I know it's not a matter of if, but when we upgrade the MOBO/CPU/Memory on it, but at least today, we don't have to plunk down any additional jack...

Asus is RMA'ing the GPU since the HDMI isn't working but the DisplayPort does. They think it's a hardware failure.

FYI - I think these 2080 cards aren't the best. The first one I had lasted 8 months then got severe artifacting. Now, this second one lasted 4 months. Good thing their warranty is good for 5 years.
Pulled everything out - no oxidation, no dust, no bent pins (CPU). Flashed BIOS, reset CMOS & new battery, re-seated CPU, Memory. In BIOS, I see 16GB DRAM, all my hard drives. I now have a stable system using my onboard video without RTX2080 installed. One nuance - I can't get onboard HDMI to work, but I get my signal just fine through DVI. If I plug in RTX2080, I get normal operation but a black display.

My next logical step would be to test the second PCIE slot on the MOBO, but I think the speed on that second slot is too slow for the 2080 (not sure it has GPU boost). And I would have to modify my case - which is going to be a PITA (will have to drill out rivets and move HDD bay).

Anything I'm missing before I scrap this system and upgrade?
Try the second PCIE 16x length slot. It only works at PCIE 2.0 4x speed and it will unfortunately drop performance by up to 60% if it does work. If it doesn't work, you should take the CPU out again and check for bent or broken CPU pins in the socket.

Ultimately, your best option would be to just upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 or something better. The Ryzen 5 1600 AF/2600 are a side grade compared to the 3770K and make no sense to buy unless you are on a tight budget or the 3600 or better are not available.

jeffrey.stockman

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
I'm convinced it's not bent/broken pins. I opened up the cpu twice, used a magnifying glass to verify nothing is out of place, and everything looks perfect. Also, this was a stable system for 6+ years, so why would you think it's bent pins?

If the second PCIe slot works, does that mean the first PCIe slot failed, and it's time for a new MOBO?

Also, any recommendations in getting the onboard HDMI slot working? The BIOS doesn't have a feature to turn on/off HDMI support - the only option is to enable/disable iGPU. As I mentioned, DVI works, but HDMI is a no go. I don't now if this is a symptom of the RTX2080 HDMI not working - just a hypothesis.

jeffrey.stockman

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
So, interestingly - I tried plugging in the RTX2080 again using the HDMI port. I noticed my monitor cast a black screen, but didn't say, "No Signal" - meaning the monitor is getting a signal, but it's black.

So, I then took another display and plugged it in via the Display Port - and it works! Now my next path is to determine why the HDMI isn't working on either the onboard or RTX. Odd....

I'm convinced it's not bent/broken pins. I opened up the cpu twice, used a magnifying glass to verify nothing is out of place, and everything looks perfect. Also, this was a stable system for 6+ years, so why would you think it's bent pins?

If the second PCIe slot works, does that mean the first PCIe slot failed, and it's time for a new MOBO?

Also, any recommendations in getting the onboard HDMI slot working? The BIOS doesn't have a feature to turn on/off HDMI support - the only option is to enable/disable iGPU. As I mentioned, DVI works, but HDMI is a no go. I don't now if this is a symptom of the RTX2080 HDMI not working - just a hypothesis.
Sometimes the pressure of the heat-sink can cause pins to move slightly out of position, or for the motherboard to warp. Adding the RTX 2080 might have been enough to bend the board out of it's working position over 4 months and to eventually cause stuff to stop working. The same thing happens with low end computer cases with a badly made motherboard tray or just a heat-sink or GPU that are too heavy.

I bought an otherwise working motherboard from a friend who had it in his case for close to 5 years, and moving it from the case it was in to a difference case cause it to break. The motherboard was just too warped to work in a different case. My ASUS P8Z77 V-Pro motherboard has also warped over the last 8 years, from the weight of my 120mm CPU cooler.

If you want to keep the 3770K going, you probably need to get another motherboard. It's still a good CPU for 60-120fps gaming, but you are severely CPU bottlenecked with an RTX 2080.

Onboard HDMI only works with the iGPU enabled whether you use it or not. There are ways to get the PCIE GPU to display out the motherboard outputs, but I've never done it so I don't know how that works.

jeffrey.stockman

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Makes sense on the above. It's my wife's CPU, and she does more workstation / photo editing than gaming, so its speed is ok for the time being. I know it's not a matter of if, but when we upgrade the MOBO/CPU/Memory on it, but at least today, we don't have to plunk down any additional jack...

Asus is RMA'ing the GPU since the HDMI isn't working but the DisplayPort does. They think it's a hardware failure.

FYI - I think these 2080 cards aren't the best. The first one I had lasted 8 months then got severe artifacting. Now, this second one lasted 4 months. Good thing their warranty is good for 5 years.

Last edited:
Solution