Question P8Z77-V Pro CPU LED is Red and DRAM LED is Red. (Will not boot or post)

Sep 14, 2019
Used the machine for a while without any problems. One day opened it up to put the wifi go card in and while I had it open I slightly budged the heat sink over the Z77 chip set on accident. Since then Ive had the CPU and DRAM LEDs on the Board come on red when you turn it on and it never boots or posts. Anyone have any idea on what to do to fix the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Ive heard the bios are screwy with the ram frequency settings I think ??? Anyways Thanks for any help. -Josh

Sep 14, 2019
Yeah Ive tried that, including replacing the battery with a brand new one. Heat gun reflow which area you think to try and get the CPU and DRAM Red LEDS to go out and maybe work again? Thanks again!

If the DRAM light is on during boot, reseat your memory modules if you haven't already since you might have dislodged them when you bumped other things. As stated before, check to see if you have any bent CPU pins. Unless you were to take off the chipset heatsink to somehow check to see if you broke the bga solder balls on the chip, I wouldn't even consider taking a heat-gun to the board.

It's also possible you installed the wifi card wrong. I have this motherboard and I remember during installation that I had to take the motherboard back out because I forgot to screw the wifi card in before placing the board in the case. If you just put it in without removing the motherboard, you might have placed it into the pins incorrectly. If you didn't read the manual, you could have missed the step that has you remove the screw on the bottom of the card next to the connector that you then use to screw in through the motherboard from the bottom. That screw might be causing a short if it's touching something on the motherboard.

Wireless Module Installation
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/E7198_P8Z77-V_PRO.pdf#page=63