p9x79 does not boot anymore

pieterberv

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I replaced the old mobo with the Asus p9X79 and initially got it to work.
I had problems with the mouse though, kept having a ? on the MS Arc mouse device, the cabled Logitec mouse was recognized, but sometimes I got a USB error that the device was not recognized. I had to restart the pc several times, I got everything to work once, even the R 290X GPU worked fine. I had to restart once more after truying to get the mouse installed, had changed the USB setting from 'legacy' to normal and now the PC doesn't boot at all anymore. It starts and stops, with irregular intervals.

I have flashed the Bios but can't get in anymore.

Help needed.....

Solution
Good deal, glad you found your problem. I would def return it, for the fact that if you want to use memory in dual channel you'll have to use them in pairs of a1,a2-b1,b2,-c1,c2-d1,d2. You could end up having other issues with it down the line so i'd take it back and get a replacement just to be on the safe side.

pieterberv

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
thanks, I found out that memory slots B1 and B2 were causing issues with the memory, the state was 'Abnormal'. I removed all the RAM and started with just one in C2, and this seems to have solved the issue, the PC boots up normally and I can work with it. I'll have to find out what's wrong with these 2 slots, I have swapped my DIMM's around but these 2 slots always give the same issue. The problem is though, that in each of the memory scenario's slot B1 is used. I am now going to try to use A1 and A2, and D1 and D2, although this is not recommended.

If this doesn't work I'll return the mobo.

lostsurfer

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Good deal, glad you found your problem. I would def return it, for the fact that if you want to use memory in dual channel you'll have to use them in pairs of a1,a2-b1,b2,-c1,c2-d1,d2. You could end up having other issues with it down the line so i'd take it back and get a replacement just to be on the safe side.

Solution

pieterberv

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
yeah I'll do that for sure.

I am currently using the other 6 slots, and this system is working but probably not as it should then. Si in this config it won't be using dual channel then? What are the effects of this?

I have one issue remaining, with the PCI Simple Communications Controller, this device is not working and I can't update the driver for some reason,
I have the Asus R9 290X graphics card installed and will be using it with 4 monitors in different configurations.

Any clues on this?

lostsurfer

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Dual channel gives your double bandwidth on your memory so it's def they way you want to go. You want to use your pc to the fullest I mean you did spend your hard earned money. Especially since you have a 290x and want your gaming performance to be tops, dual channel is todays norm. How are you trying to update the driver? Have you installed your chipset drivers that came on the disc with the motherboard?