Pachter: ME3 "Whining" May Have Driven BioWare Docs Away

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I love how many game analysts and journalists took the mantle of video games as a sacred cow that can not be criticized.
It can, it should and most importantly, it must.
Any consumer has the right to complain and demand a quality product or service for which he has paid. The ending to ME3 was not bad because it was sad, it was bad because it made no sense at all and ran out of character.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Except Bioware nixed the indoctrination theory with their ending DLC. Sorry, but the ending really is just nonsense.[/citation]

That's part of the issue though. People have to actually have Bioware tell them what to believe. Or they wanted them to come out and confirm this indoctrination theory. That is actually indoctrination in itself.

Let me explain. By only believing what Bioware tells you and not thinking for yourself and coming up with your own opinions and theories, then they've actually managed to indoctrinate a good portion of the fan base. I'm not talking about Reaper indoctrination here. More like religion and indoctrination.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
This guy is a total asshat..... Good, let them retire so new blood can get in. They should retire after letting EA rui9n the best game ever made, there are literally millions of creative people who can take there place. ME3 ending SUCKED! It had nothing to do with it not being happy. I was expecting Sheps death from half way through the second game. The plot holes is what we are "whining" about. If we insult you enough will you retire too? You dumb fat old pompus asslicking gutter whore.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I am afraid much of the creativity had been used to produce "MAYHEM"... Have you test out your game? There are SOOOOO many bugs and glitches that it's absolutely ridiculous... and as the gamers get more into it, the more shit got digged up. How could you blame them? They might be impolite but not all of them are all bullshit.
Like when you enter the cinema and expect a WELL DONE movie, you got some halve ass plot with holes all over it. Are you telling me you don't whine?
And then, there is another part, fixing stuffs cause other stuffs to break, sometimes unbearable! Now that is "test-prove" classics right there. I am one of the people who just couldn't believe they didn't even test what the patch would do before releasing it. WOW really, you patched it when it forces you to, and you don't get to play the game. Right LOGIC.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
If they created a traditional Hollywood style ending for this game, most of the backlash could have been avoided. However, you'd probably have a lot of people saying that the ending is too predictable and unoriginal. Sure it would make sense, but it would be too cliche.

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Coerce? You appear to be coming from the assumption that Bioware is fully independent from EA. It's not anymore. EA works on schedules and budgets. Developers are required to fit the game into a schedule and budget. You make it or you trim the game to make it fit. EA has a very long history of acquiring studios, transitioning them from creation-first to marketing-first, and driving out all the talent that worked at the acquired studio. It's very hard to feel proud about kicking something out the door before it's done. Then of course there's all sorts of stipulations on bonuses, revenue sharing, and other employee benefits that didn't exist prior to acquisition. There's also a ridiculous increase in the number of willpower-draining pointless meetings. Customers whining about an unfinished game is the next best thing to not buying it at all. EA only cares about its sales. The ME3 debacle affected sales.[/citation]
I know how EA operates. But nowhere in your unnecessarily long post did you explain how EA's acquisition of Bioware influenced ME3's ending. The ending it got did not benefit EA in terms of marketing or sales, and they had no stake in it whatsoever until after the shitstorm. That theory doesn't make any sense.

Evil as EA may be at times, you are scapegoating them for what was clearly just a hysterically unpopular design decision at Bioware.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation]Over two years ago, Pachter answerd a question about the death of PC gaming in Episode 108, saying that (at the time) packaged PC game sales were only 6 to 7-percent of the overall games sales[/citation]
This is a guy who back in 2009 said that not a single PC user has configuration that is performing better than Xbox360. And also made 6-7% comment in the year when PC vs console revenue compared something like $16 billion to $19 billion. Oh and I almost forgot beside Pach Attack he had no other professional connection with gaming industry.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]WTF, We already have words from ONE OF THE FOUNDERS, saying that is BS. Could of sworn TH even did a story saying that too.[/citation]

Thats because their too nice and dont want us to feel guilty for the rest of our lives (im serious), the whining did do the damage.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]Thats because their too nice and dont want us to feel guilty for the rest of our lives (im serious), the whining did do the damage.[/citation]

I mean, imagine the chaos at Bioware when the whole take back mass effect 3 movement was going, it was unprecedented, no one ever expected anything like that to happen, must have been tough on them.

bucknutty

Distinguished
ME1 was this amazing complex role play game with an incredible story. ME2 was a simpler version of ME1 with only about 6 hours of story and 40 hours of filler in the form of help your friends deal with their problems that had nothing to do with the story. ME3 was this lame first person shooter that was somewhat like ME1 but had a retarded story. It was so full of stupid moves and plot holes it made me sick, it felt more like a cheap spinoff then part of the same series.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I don't think this post makes any sense. It certainly confirms that Bioware made a crap ending for their game... you don't hear about people having to invent their own theories for endings of games that have sensible endings like, say, Mass Effect 2.[/citation]

They wanted an ending that people could talk about. Some of the best stories don't tell you every single detail about what happened. Some people expect every single detailed to be spoon fed to them though. Must be a new thing, because people didn't do this when I was growing up. When someone didn't like the way a game ended, they just stopped playing it. They didn't organize these fan rallies and demand that that the ending must be changed in order to meet someone's personal wishes.

Although, even after the Extended Cut, the fans that opposed the ending are in the minority. I know, they seem to think they are in the majority, but they aren't. The Extended Cut was Bioware's compromise between what they wanted and the constructive fans feedback. However, some people have this idea in their head that it was "their" story and that somehow entitled them to demand whatever ending they wanted. It really wasn't.

You guys should be thankful they even did the Extended Cut. These guys slaved for 3 months to try and make people happy, and some still hated it. Entitled, whiny, little brats. All I'm going to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS