Packard Bell Unveils Nvidia Ion Nettop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
My first personally owned computer (my dad bought for me when I was ~12 or so) was a Pentium 66MHz from PB. Wow, I thought they totally disappeared.

G

Packard Bell! Nothing but negative feelings for that name. Bad choice for a name. Too many peole I know that hate the old company. It would have been better to call it Madoff Ponzi!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ancientnoob[/nom]guess what you all dont no what ur talking about with the company of HP there is a lot of company inside with the surprise that goes with a feling machine then using a pentium 66.[/citation]
Sober up, then comment.

cichy69

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
at this point they could think of a new name, there's probably nothing left of the company, plus most if not all people only feel hate and anger associated with that company name

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Why would anyone rehash the Packard Bell name? It's widely known as being complete junk, and hard to work on because they used low quality, non-standard parts. No one I know ever liked working on them, and they're much more widely despised even than Dell, which is actually a quality computer compared to Packard Bell (remember, I only said quality and Dell in the same sentence in a relative sense, so don't want to smack me).

I don't know why they'd use that brand name. That's like building a new car and naming it Pinto, or Edsel. What are they thinking?

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Will it come with a recycled hard drive and a monitor that turns green after two weeks, just like the old ones did? Are they bringing back Navigator as well?

Their logo sucks. The old face with the red lines was better.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I have nothing but bad memories of my old Packard Bell: A CRT monitor that had some kind of nasty blotch in the middle; A catch-all motherboard with crappy sound and crappy video built-in that you couldn't disable; A case that only fit their giant crappy motherboard; And horrible driver support. But hey, they were cheap. We were duped at the time.

But I guess I can thank Packard Bell for leading me to start building my own computers. At the time Gateway and Compaq were also pretty crappy. Dell hadn't arrived on the scene yet. Not that Dell is anything to drool over, but certainly would have been an improvement. At least they use standard parts.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Umm have you ever looked inside a dell? Their power supplies and motherboards are far from standard. Not to mention their out of spec cases. What a headache.

talzara

Dec 22, 2008
To the contrary. Packard Bell does *NOT* have negative connotations, nor did it disappear, *except* in the United States. Is there any indication that this machine is being sold in the US? Search "packard bell puredesire," and you get a bunch of UK sites back.

Packard Bell has continued selling PCs in EMEA and Latin America. In those locations, they are known as a solid but not very flashy vendor.

Just goes to show you how different the US market is from the rest of the world. There are lots of other examples. Microsoft Multiplan (never took off in the US, did great in Japan). Google Orkut (bombed in the US, but the top social networking site in Brazil). And the Google search engine (dominant in the US, 25% market share in China).

G

The only variant is the dual core Atom and Ion platform.
Is the picture accurate? Looks much like an EeeBox.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Will it come with a recycled hard drive and a monitor that turns green after two weeks, just like the old ones did? Are they bringing back Navigator as well?Their logo sucks. The old face with the red lines was better.[/citation]

Oh my god, I completely forgot about the monitors that would turn green (as well as other colors) after a few weeks....I replaced many LM1203 RGB Amps in those boat anchors....

G

to be honest i am in possesion of a 2003 packard bell notebook, s series i guess, 2 dell notebooks (inspiron 6400 '06 and precision m65 '07) and a '08 new medium priced dell desktop system. Guess which one never let me down?!? the packard bell... i only reinstalled the os (XP) once in 2007 i guess.... the inspiron is a complete waste of money...the precision is great for graphics (autodesk and adobe) but on games it gets way to hot in less than 10 mins and of course reboots...the desktop...not any better than the notbooks though it's newer and it has way better specs (plus we're talking desktop vs notebook). the old packard bell is the most reliable...i know it will always work just great, it has the best batt, sound and display...for it's age the computing performance is great...maybe i am just one pleased buyer but i will always have smth for the packard bell company (a good smth)
did not intend to annoy anyone, just sharing my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.