Question Packet burst in COD Vanguard and unstable packet loss in Halo ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 1, 2021
Hello, im about to give up trying to solve my problem. So I am having this stutter problem in Call of Duty vanguard where it pops up with packet burst. The same thing in Halo Infinite pops up "unstable Packet loss". I have Gigabit internet, with a new modem (even tried using my 5g hotspot on my phone and still got the packet burst sign). My latency is low, when i have the packet loss counter on it shows zero. I have done everything software wise under the sun. Fresh windows install and bios updates. I have gone as far as switching out motherboard and cpu from amd to intel. I have borrowed my friends gtx 1070 graphics card and it still does it. I have an nvme and i got a second ssd and loaded games on that. I have tried almost everything everything. Only two things i havent done is pulled out my 4 8gb of ram and changed the psu.

Here are my specs

EVGA rtx 3060
MSI Z590 Pro wifi motherboard - previous was a b550 aorus pro
I7 11700K - previous was ryzen 5 3600xt
Cooler Master 750 watt PSU
Seagate 520 500gb nvme
SK Hynix 500gb SSD
4 sticks 8gb ddr4 corsair vengeance pro ram
cooler master water cooler

Dec 1, 2021
OK well I don't think it is my modem because I just replaced my old one which was giving me the same problem in the game. I bumped up to get gigabit internet during that time so i had to get a docsis 3.1 modem anyway. So its down to isp or PC. With PC the only parts I haven't changed is the Ram and PSU.

You look the motherboard specs up :). Yours does not but since intel bought killer they too have these silly "gamer" network things bundled with motherboards. It is many times called CFOSspeed but it has other names. You want to uninstall any software on your pc related to giving network priority or QoS to stuff.

The other thing I noticed is you have a 2.5g port. These have a history of bad drivers and about a year ago there were a bunch of motherboards sold with a intel hardware revision that could only be partially fixed by firmware updates. I would try a couple different drivers both the newest and maybe one level back just to check. Be sure microsoft did not "helpfully" update them.

In general that ping spike is not good but it is not bad enough to cause a issue in a game. I would run tracert and when you are connected via the modem ping the first hop. This will test the connection between your house and the ISP only and not stuff farther into the network. The large problem is getting this fixed even if you see issues to the ISP. The ISP dose not guarantee latency. If you were to get packet loss that they would fix. Generally these type of ping spikes are caused by traffic being queued because of some overload condition. It is unlikely you are exceeding the bandwidth you purchased from the ISP with a PC directly connected to the modem so that leave a overload in the ISP network. They generally will not admit they have this issue because it means they sold too many customers the same "1gbit" plan and too many are using it at the same time.

How do I tell if it does?

I just checked for you, your motherboard has the Intel I225 2.5gbe ethernet and AX210 wifi 6E adapter.

Don't use the standard windows drivers for both of these since they are very new. I would download the drivers directly from Intel.

When updating the driver, be sure to delete the old one. Go to device manager, right click to uninstall device, then be sure to check "delete driver" before you select OK to uninstall. Obviously download the driver before you remove your network devices.

Dec 1, 2021
This one has a:
  1. Realtek® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbit/1 Gbit/100 Mbit)
So again, a 2.5gbe chipset.

The windows driver might have been bad for this as well. 2.5Gbe is still very new.
So in device manager under network adapter I double clicked on the intel(R) Ethernet controller (3) I225-v went to events and it showed this:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15F3&SUBSYS_7D091462&REV_03\4&3b338301&0&00E4 requires further installation.

Download the driver here first: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...t-controllers/i225-controllers/downloads.html

Then in Device manage, right click on the device to uninstall it. But make sure you click "delete driver from system" before proceeding. Then hit Ok.

Then install the new driver on your system and your device should be found again with the new proper driver.

FYI, you should never use default windows drivers. Windows will find a close driver, but sometimes it's buggy because it's not the actual driver for your hardware. When building a PC, you should go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download all the latest drivers for your system and install them.

Dec 1, 2021
Download the driver here first: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...t-controllers/i225-controllers/downloads.html

Then in Device manage, right click on the device to uninstall it. But make sure you click "delete driver from system" before proceeding. Then hit Ok.

Then install the new driver on your system and your device should be found again with the new proper driver.

FYI, you should never use default windows drivers. Windows will find a close driver, but sometimes it's buggy because it's not the actual driver for your hardware. When building a PC, you should go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download all the latest drivers for your system and install them.
Doesn't seem to change anything. Still getting the packet burst issue.

Dec 1, 2021
They'll likely try it with their modem and do line tests.

It's up to them to solve at this point. But we went through all the troubleshooting steps to safely say it's not anything inside your network.
I have one other question. Just for piece of mind. So I bought two 8gb sticks of ram of the Corsair vengeance and then a couple months later bought the identical brand and model of two more 8gb sticks. If I mixed them up when putting them in could that do anything?

I have one other question. Just for piece of mind. So I bought two 8gb sticks of ram of the Corsair vengeance and then a couple months later bought the identical brand and model of two more 8gb sticks. If I mixed them up when putting them in could that do anything?

It shouldn't be a problem unless you're doing some manual overclocks. But for piece of mind, mixmatched ram should have zero issues at base clock speed(XMP profile turned off). At 2133 or 2400, the ram should be completely stable. You might lose a few FPS, but you can try this to see if your PC is having any problems.

Dec 1, 2021
It shouldn't be a problem unless you're doing some manual overclocks. But for piece of mind, mixmatched ram should have zero issues at base clock speed(XMP profile turned off). At 2133 or 2400, the ram should be completely stable. You might lose a few FPS, but you can try this to see if your PC is having any problems.
UPDATE: had the Cox tech come out and check the internet line. He checked the box outside of my house and noticed a splitter attached. I use to have cable tv but cut the cord about two years ago. I wouldn’t of known the issue because I haven’t had a pc in about three years until I just recently built mine. Well he said when he was testing the 4 channels with the splitter he said he was getting some of the channels in red and they should always be green. He removed the splitter and all 4 channels are green. I have a part coming in tonight to put in my pc and I’ll test. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: gggplaya