[SOLVED] Packet loss and high latency ?

Jul 24, 2021
I am having packet loss and latency issues for awhile and my ISP doesnt seem to know what to do. The odd thing is when i download a game i barley have any packet loss and latency but the moment im not it goes crazy which doesnt make any since to me i thought it might have been the modem so i bought my own and that didnt work. I have tried everything at this point and dont know what else to do.

Here is a screenshot from pingplotter
https://prnt.sc/1f32vzj

Solution
Get a big stick and go visit the ISP office :). You are just going to have to keep calling until you get a tech that can do more than follow their script. I have talked to some that do not even know what a ping command is.

Your pingplot is great. This is a perfect example of using pingplot to show a problem. Many people post these and good "RED BAD" must fix when it is really just a issue with how the testing works.

What is key is you see massive packet loss starting at hop 2 that affects every hop in the path including the last one.

The good thing is hop2 represents the connection between your house and the ISP. This is almost always some wiring issue and it is almost always outside your house.

I will assume this is a...
Get a big stick and go visit the ISP office :). You are just going to have to keep calling until you get a tech that can do more than follow their script. I have talked to some that do not even know what a ping command is.

Your pingplot is great. This is a perfect example of using pingplot to show a problem. Many people post these and good "RED BAD" must fix when it is really just a issue with how the testing works.

What is key is you see massive packet loss starting at hop 2 that affects every hop in the path including the last one.

The good thing is hop2 represents the connection between your house and the ISP. This is almost always some wiring issue and it is almost always outside your house.

I will assume this is a cable connection an not dsl.

So all the standard things you check to be sure the ISP will not blame you.

First look at the modem signal levels and error logs. You should also see packet errors counts depending on the modem. Check that the signal level are within the recommended values. The exact values depend on a number of things so you are best to search for it rather than me try to replicate it here.

Since you have replaced the modem that is one thing. Next try to connect the modem to the wire at the nearest point it enters the building. You want to avoid any splitters etc. This is to preempt the script monkey at the ISP saying its the cables in your house. See if the signal level change significantly.

This means you have pretty much proved the problem is not in your house.

The tech will next try to blame pingplot because they don't understand it. What you want to do is open 2 cmd windows. Let a constant ping command run to hop 1 and hop 2. This should show the same thing as pingplot. You should see no loss to hop 1 but packet loss to hop 2. You get a tech with even half a brain they will understand that this shows that there is no problem with your pc or router and a problem with the connection coming to your house.

Reactions: microtank
Solution
Jul 24, 2021

I will assume this is a cable connection an not dsl.

So all the standard things you check to be sure the ISP will not blame you.

First look at the modem signal levels and error logs. You should also see packet errors counts depending on the modem. Check that the signal level are within the recommended values. The exact values depend on a number of things so you are best to search for it rather than me try to replicate it here.

Since you have replaced the modem that is one thing. Next try to connect the modem to the wire at the nearest point it enters the building. You want to avoid any splitters etc. This is to preempt the script monkey at the ISP saying its the cables in your house. See if the signal level change significantly.

This means you have pretty much proved the problem is not in your house.

The tech will next try to blame pingplot because they don't understand it. What you want to do is open 2 cmd windows. Let a constant ping command run to hop 1 and hop 2. This should show the same thing as pingplot. You should see no loss to hop 1 but packet loss to hop 2. You get a tech with even half a brain they will understand that this shows that there is no problem with your pc or router and a problem with the connection coming to your house.
They have ran the line from the pole straight to my modem and that didnt work so that proved it wasnt my house and for some reason while im hooked up it affects everyone around me and for some reason the techs are stumped. They have even disconnected me before because unhooking me fixed everyone elses problem so im trying to see what i can to do help them out anyway i can.

I would carefully check what you have connected to the cable. Some other device maybe introducing interference. I know one of the very common ones is MoCA. You need to place a filter to prevent this from getting out of your house.

If you only have 1 device and that is the modem then I am at a loss. I mean you already bought a new modem.

This is one of those things where a skilled cable tech will find it where the more junior guys just know how to crimp new ends on cables pretty much.

Jul 24, 2021
I would carefully check what you have connected to the cable. Some other device maybe introducing interference. I know one of the very common ones is MoCA. You need to place a filter to prevent this from getting out of your house.

If you only have 1 device and that is the modem then I am at a loss. I mean you already bought a new modem.

This is one of those things where a skilled cable tech will find it where the more junior guys just know how to crimp new ends on cables pretty much.
Sorry but what is MoCA?

If you don't know you likely don't have it, but some cable tv boxes use a variation for whole house dvr stuff.

Moca is used to allow you to run ethernet over the coax cables. It is 2 device and since they cost over $100 for a pair it is not something you forgot you bought.

In general it does not cause interference but there is some issue if you were to transmit it outside your house but I forget what it is.

Jul 24, 2021
If you don't know you likely don't have it, but some cable tv boxes use a variation for whole house dvr stuff.

Moca is used to allow you to run ethernet over the coax cables. It is 2 device and since they cost over $100 for a pair it is not something you forgot you bought.

In general it does not cause interference but there is some issue if you were to transmit it outside your house but I forget what it is.
Alright well thanks for trying to help the best you can i really appreciate it and ill post updates on here as this progresses