[SOLVED] Packet Loss and ping issues

owiela

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
I have noticed an oddity on my desktop pc. Which does not occur on my laptop. When playing games or using chat such as discord and zoom, every now and again my connection would drop and take a little while to reconnect.

I have taken to using CMD ping test to google whilst doing these things to track when and how often I get request time-outs. It's usually once or twice every 10 minutes or so, but got pretty severe the last time I played a game, dropping about 3 or 4 times in the first 5 minutes of playing.

When I disconnect and reconnect to the game, the ping increases to around 300 to 400ms (usually it sites around 50-70) for a couple minutes. I'm usually using discord at the same time and this also disconnects.

I can't use an ethernet cable since my PC is on another floor, but it sits underneath the router and the signal strength to my desktop and laptop appears to be full.

Desktop Specs:
GA-H77N mini ITX MB (wifi built into the board)

https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Motherboard/GA-H77N-WIFI-rev-10#ov

3rd Gen Intel i5 LGA1155 cpu
8GB DDR4 RAM
250gb SSD main drive (80% full)
GTX1650 Super graphics
(no, it's not a hard-core gamer setup, but it runs what I want it to)
This is an old motherboard, bought roughly 7 years ago.

The laptop I'm using is a Xiaomi Notebook Pro 15.5inch bought new in 2018.

Can't remember the router I'm using off-hand, but it's a new-ish (2 years?) TP-Link router that has both 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

I don't know what components could cause issues like this, it might well be the wifi card and it needs replacing. But if other components might effect this, then I'm willing to explore the options.

Solution
Connect to the 2.4 ghz signal. If the wifi adapter or router doesn’t display the two separate SSID’s for the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz SSID’s, then you’ll want to go to device manager and go to device manager, and look at your Ethernet adapters or adapters and find your exact wifi adapter, right click it and go to advanced settings, find the 802.11 setting and set it to 802.11 N. If that doesn’t keep you connected, then any devices on your network are exceeding bandwidth.

5 ghz sucks unless you are in the same room. The latency on a 2.4 ghz... well a lot of gamers I’ve argued with on older games and modern games... they don’t know what they are talkin about... modern games, only require 512 kbps. This includes Fortnite. I’ve ran the tests, and...

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Connect to the 2.4 ghz signal. If the wifi adapter or router doesn’t display the two separate SSID’s for the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz SSID’s, then you’ll want to go to device manager and go to device manager, and look at your Ethernet adapters or adapters and find your exact wifi adapter, right click it and go to advanced settings, find the 802.11 setting and set it to 802.11 N. If that doesn’t keep you connected, then any devices on your network are exceeding bandwidth.

5 ghz sucks unless you are in the same room. The latency on a 2.4 ghz... well a lot of gamers I’ve argued with on older games and modern games... they don’t know what they are talkin about... modern games, only require 512 kbps. This includes Fortnite. I’ve ran the tests, and no amount of mbps or gbps will lower your ping to a server. Pinging google via command prompt tells you nothing. Even if you add the -t function. Which is why you want a fun older game from the 90’s to play online for testing cause some of them provide the IP address, and having that provides the exact ping you are getting in game. Some modern companies like Blizzard Entertainment provide the IP’s, and if it confuses you, there is a port number that gets you to the exact game server... but from my data and tests that port is no different than just a IP address, cause the ping will remain the same.

gaming can be done on 512 kbps or lower and latency will remain the same based on connection type. Such as DSL, Cable, Fiber, and the rare awesome opportunity to test out a T1 line. Signal strength and consistent bandwidth is what you need.

5 ghz is ideal for the same room or a mesh set up where the mesh routers can physically see each other. 2.4 ghz does not have trouble traveling through most physical objects, the max mbps I’ve seen my wireless speed be on a 2.4 ghz is around 50 mbps. That in itself is 5 times more than any sane individual ever needs for a entertainment network.

Solution