Question Packet loss at random points in the day. PingPlotter thinks it's from my default gateway?

Jun 20, 2023
Hello,

Every few hours I randomly seem to get up to 10% packet loss which is very noticeable in games, and can be confirmed by pinging 8.8.8.8 from command prompt.
This occurs on multiple devices when plugged in by ethernet directly to the router.

I've tried the basics of restarting the router (BT Home Hub 5) and have factory reset it without any luck.

PingPlotter seems to show packet loss across many different hops but it seems that the only hop that causes packet loss at the end destination is from my default gateway? (172.16.11.191)
I'm mostly wondering if this is most likely a problem with my router or whether I should contact my ISP.
I could also be completely misunderstanding what ping plotter is actually showing me as I am quite out of my depth.

I have posted 3 screenshots, one containing no end packet loss and two containing noticeable end destination packet loss.

View: https://imgur.com/a/qq22MZ8

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks a lot,
Ellis

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Every few hours I randomly seem to get up to 10% packet loss which is very noticeable in games, and can be confirmed by pinging 8.8.8.8 from command prompt.
This occurs on multiple devices when plugged in by ethernet directly to the router.

I've tried the basics of restarting the router (BT Home Hub 5) and have factory reset it without any luck.

PingPlotter seems to show packet loss across many different hops but it seems that the only hop that causes packet loss at the end destination is from my default gateway? (172.16.11.191)
I'm mostly wondering if this is most likely a problem with my router or whether I should contact my ISP.
I could also be completely misunderstanding what ping plotter is actually showing me as I am quite out of my depth.

I have posted 3 screenshots, one containing no end packet loss and two containing noticeable end destination packet loss.

View: https://imgur.com/a/qq22MZ8

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks a lot,
Ellis
Rather than using ping plotter, use a continuous ping to the gateway. That is the only way to tell if it really is that link in the chain. If that link is stable, then move to the next IP and continuous ping it. Generally it WILL be in the first few hops.

Reactions: e111s
Jun 20, 2023
Rather than using ping plotter, use a continuous ping to the gateway. That is the only way to tell if it really is that link in the chain. If that link is stable, then move to the next IP and continuous ping it. Generally it WILL be in the first few hops.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, unfortunately whenever I ping my default gateway I get a "request timeout" I'm assuming because my router blocks ICMP? And I don't seem to have the option to enable it.