Question PC won't boot/restart properly

Jun 28, 2024
Hey 👋
Have a relatively new PC/Server build that been giving me a rather annoying problem.
First some background, I happen to stumble upon a CPU & Motherboard combo on an online marketplace for a relatively good price
the CPU is an Intel Core i5-6500 CPU with integrated graphics, and the motherboard is a Z170M-PLUS.
Bought a brand new power supply (450 watt), ram, case, some cooling, etc and slapped the bad boy together with no problems
however after restarting the PC it would not boot to the OS or even BIOS, only the fans and PC lights would turn on.

After looking for surface level solutions online to try and fix the problem I have tried the following:
- Buying a new CMOS battery
- Testing with and without a Graphics card
- Trying another power supply
- Resitting / Reapplying thermal paste on CPU

I eventually found a temporary solution where I physically stuck a screwdriver inside the PC and touched two pins on the motherboard that apparently
resets the bios settings, this did allow me to boot back into the operating system or bios however if I restart the PC or touch any bios setting
I'd have to go back and touch the two pins everytime I want to restart for any reason, as you can imagine this is quite a nuisance.

I have my suspicions that the motherboard is to blame but I have no idea why this is happening, I don't know whether its fixable or to just
cut my losses and buy a new motherboard.

Jun 28, 2024
Hey there,

Sounds to me that it's the mobo. The pins your are talking about are CLRTC, which is clear CMOS. Hence you bios defaults, and allow access.

Was there any info form the seller that the board had issues?
I emailed the seller a week back and the email mentioned: "Never used the onboard graphics, as I needed to drive a display port monitor. It was used with a GTX 1060. I don't remember having issues with the Bios, MB or CPU during my time with it". From my own experience this was most definitely not the case :sweatsmile: just to clarify I have tested with both a GTX 1070 and a brand new GTX 3070 and still had the same result, also thanks for the clarification with the pins.

TRENDING THREADS