Question Packet loss in games but not in ping command ?

Jun 8, 2024
I am facing packet loss in games. In CS, I can see that it is only incoming packet loss.

However, if I ping those servers, I don't see much packet loss. It is mostly 0% if I ping them normally. I tried pinging like 60-120 pings per seconds and still got like 0.1% or 0% packet loss, while in game it was going 15-30% packet loss.

And yes, I have tried pinging different servers, including some of those game servers.

The ISP is a local one and they don't see it as a problem.

Download and Upload speed remains great all the time, more than the plan speed (i.e., 500Mbps), even in other servers, not just ISP's server. There is no bufferbloating. I get A+ in bufferbloat test.

Also, I have tried different ethernet cables.

From PingPlotter, I see that the few times it could record those packet drops, they happen after the local internet gateway. So, I don't think there is anything wrong here.

Optical signal is also around -17. It is FTTH connection, by the way.

So, what can I do to diagnose this?

Jun 8, 2024
Do you see an issue in game?
Yes, but mostly only when it is 10-15% in game, especially noticeable in spectator view but few other things happen as well, like players literally teleporting and me getting shot even when I don't see anyone.

Usually, when the packet loss is like 1-3% occasionally and I don't see any difference.

Jun 8, 2024
Post your network layout, as an example my setup is

Coax Feed - Modem SB8200 - EdgeRouter X - wired Computer
I am using ISP's Genexis Earth 2022 GPON ONT Router, connected via ethernet to my PC.

I have tried using two different ONT's with it but they didn't work. I also tried cloning the MAC address. So, I gave up on trying a different ONT.

Also, those few packet loss I see on PingPlotter were in third hop, after my ISP's gateway. So, there is probably something wrong after the gateway.

I am just wondering why do I just see those packet loss in games but not in command or any other network testing tools. And I have tested it on another PC, so it can't be my PC issue either.

Leave ping commands run in the background while you play the game and see if you get loss. Could be the problem only occurs when you have load on the link. A game though uses very little bandwidth so it would be strange that you get that large a number of pings.

A general network issue does not just affect on kind of traffic. That is why tools like ping are used to test. The routers in the path just look at source and destination addresses, everything else in the packet is just data to them and they don't care.

I would check that you do not have any so called "gamming" network software installed. This comes bundled with the bloatware with video cards and motherboards....asus in particular. A common name is cfosspeed but anything that claims to reduce latency or favor one kind of traffic over another should be uninstalled.

Reactions: 35below0