Question Packet loss with new optic fiber connection ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
2 people updating Call of Duty is all it takes to saturate gigabit internet. It all depends on how many people are in your house and what they're doing. If all the other people in the home and just streaming netflix, youtube, tiktok etc.... then you won't have any issues. If you have 3 roommates with playstations, all downloading call of duty on launch day, you'll saturate gigabit and get lag. You can set steam, xbox or playstation to limit download speeds, but unless you have full control over everyone's pc's and consoles, then it's hard to enforce. It's better to have a more robust router to handle any situation.

Packet loss can happen with both download and upload. I used to play alot of Rainbow 6 Siege, it tells you on screen if the lag is on the server side or the client side. It's what led me down the rabbit hole or researching better router traffic shaping algorithms and ultimately building my own router. Making your own router is no different than building your own PC. You just have to add an extra 2 ethernet ports.
I do wonder why my ping went from a completely straight line to having a bit of "jitter".
It's literally so small that it doesn't affect the gameplay most likely.

I don't feel like I'm having any issues but it's something that wasn't happening before and I don't believe the previous router had better processing power.
It's more like curiosity on my side, could just be my ISP honestly.

Last edited: